Best sporty car at or under $10,000

IVIYTH0S

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miata. :P

Don't they have a pretty bad price hike due to all you can do with them though??

240z. :teehee:

You can get an 90s cobra with the independent rear suspension and a massive v8 in budget. They're a heap of fun.

See: Small/Light with decent/good gas mileage :P

Also, I want it to handle :P

I think I DID see a 240Z around here for sale but too old :glare:

I say the celica, fairly good mpg and a heap of fun to drive.

Oh, you've driven one??

1999s are the new gen Mustangs, so it would be the same as the ones up to 2004.

1998s are the previous gen, but are nearly identical to the new gens.

www.google.com

But they'll probably all be beat or have something wrong right??

It's not really my type of car though :-/

I picked up a 2000 GT with a 5.4 swap and 73k body miles, 45k engine miles, as well as a bunch of aftermarket stuff in good condition for $5,900. It didn't handle like a cobra but it weighed as much as a GTI and had more power than a 4.6 4 valve.

Eww, if I wanted to drive a blow-tary I'd drive my friend's new FD.

Not looking for a car with required rebuilds, and terrible oil/gas mileage.

I know I didn't mention it but....yeah, no rotaries. I will only admire them from afar but never own one.

Always remember to check how much replacement parts are when it comes to buying a new car. Tires, tranny, engine etc.

True, although none will be as cheap as my Saturn...another thing I'll miss.

That's one thing that gives the Ion on my list a perk, it's a GM so parts will be nice and cheap (not to mention I bet the Cobalt mod community is pretty large so performance parts would be pretty cheap)

I picked up a 2000 GT with a 5.4 swap and 73k body miles, 45k engine miles, as well as a bunch of aftermarket stuff in good condition for $5,900. It didn't handle like a cobra but it weighed as much as a GTI and had more power than a 4.6 4 valve.

Hmm... Idk

Here's a 2005 GT with 148K for $7500

or a

2002 GT w/104K  $5500

I just am not sure if I'd feel with a big car like that though

I mean look at this glorious Celica for $4500 (I'd remove that obnoxious wing though)

2002 is gonna be far more reliable. 2005-2006 had major issues, like spark plugs falling into the cylinder. If you want to go even cheaper you can get a NICE cobra from 1994-1998 for around 5 to 8 grand. They're not as big as they seem. The GT won't go around a corner, but they launch real nice with the live axle. Cobras have the IRS and are surprisingly decent. They'll walk right by anything in a straight line which is what really matters on the street.

I went from a powerhouse Mustang to a nimble Z, and for daily driving, I like a powerhouse better. Sure, it's a heap of fun taking offramps at Highway speeds, but nothing beats dumping it into third and having 350 lb ft of torque throw you into your seat. Now if I wanted to race, I'd pick the Z any day, but for every day driving, I really want to get another Mustang.

Edited by Onion

Cobalt SS/Ion Redline does have a large modding community and a good amount of aftermarket parts, but again you have to remember that the Cobalt is what replaced the Chevy Cavalier so you can expect the same level of reliability and cheepness that made the Cavalier so awesome...... :doh:

2002 is gonna be far more reliable. 2005-2006 had major issues, like spark plugs falling into the cylinder. If you want to go even cheaper you can get a NICE cobra from 1994-1998 for around 5 to 8 grand. They're not as big as they seem. The GT won't go around a corner, but they launch real nice with the live axle. Cobras have the IRS and are surprisingly decent. They'll walk right by anything in a straight line which is what really matters on the street.

I went from a powerhouse Mustang to a nimble Z, and for daily driving, I like a powerhouse better. Sure, it's a heap of fun taking offramps at Highway speeds, but nothing beats dumping it into third and having 350 lb ft of torque throw you into your seat. Now if I wanted to race, I'd pick the Z any day, but for every day driving, I really want to get another Mustang.

When did they put that really good V6 in?? the one that has like 300hp or something but gets 30mpg on the highway?

Cobalt SS/Ion Redline does have a large modding community and a good amount of aftermarket parts, but again you have to remember that the Cobalt is what replaced the Chevy Cavalier so you can expect the same level of reliability and cheepness that made the Cavalier so awesome...... :doh:

It couldn't be any "worse" then my current S-Series Saturn, which I love.

I was hoping/expecting Waco to come and persuade/dissuade me on the subject of an cobalt ss platform

2010 I believe. There was a guy in my Mustang club who had one with a Kenne Bell blower bolted onto it and straight pipes all the way back with long tube headers. It screamed and had the power to back that up... It was lighter than the V8s and walked right by the Cobras in our club. 

2010 I believe. There was a guy in my Mustang club who had one with a Kenne Bell blower bolted onto it and straight pipes all the way back with long tube headers. It screamed and had the power to back that up... It was lighter than the V8s and walked right by the Cobras in our club. 

Damn, well I couldn't get that. It always seemed like a GREAT V6, and if I could get one of those, I'd consider a 'stang but sadly my budget does not allow for such things.

280ZX and then slap a turbo on it? They're 10 years younger than my Z and they put down some HIGHLY respectable numbers. Also, a full engine can be had for $500, so its cheap to maintain.

Edited by Onion

1. S2000

2. EVO 8(hard to find but possible)

3. G35 coupe

4. 350z

167. Miata (sorry but it is what it is)

280ZX and then slap a turbo on it? They're 10 years younger than my Z and they put down some HIGHLY respectable numbers. Also, a full engine can be had for $500, so its cheap to maintain.

t67388a_pedo-bear-too-old.jpg

If it was a second car, I'd have more leniency on my choices but this has to be a DD if need be (if it's rainy, snowy or colder than 30 degrees out)

1. S2000

2. EVO 8(hard to find but possible)

3. G35 coupe

4. 350z

167. Miata (sorry but it is what it is)

Hmm I doubt I could fit in an Evo to my budget but I honestly forgot about the 350Z... here's a 2003 for $10K

My only beef with the Z is the gas mileage isn't that great and since it's sorta luxurious, insurance will probably be really high

Edited by IVIYTH0S

my vote is for a Subaru WRX -> (owns a 2012 wrx)  unless your tracking the car don't get an sti, they are so not worth the extra money if its a daily driver.   The awd will help with weather conditions in NJ for you as well.   Another con on the sti is insurance will rape you since it is book at 305hp.  It was 2.5x more for an sti then the wrx and im 30 years old with a good driving record.

Edited by olokul