Can't copy files to MicroSD card

Miek

It's a 64GB Lexar MicroSDXC (class 10) card that I'm attempting to fill with music (.mp3 files) so I can put it in my Galaxy S4. However, I get an error code every time I try to copy files to it. Some files work fine, but every single time, I get error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. None of the files are corrupt. They play just fine in my media player on my computer. I should also mention that once the files that do work make it onto the card, I can't delete them unless I eject the card first, plug it in again, and then format it.

I'm not sure what to do. I would really like to be able to use my card.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright. I got these results. It only let me use the "write + verify" option, so I went with that. It also decided that it couldn't test that last single Mbyte, too.

Warning: Only 61038 of 61039 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 14.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

It seems as though other files work just fine, but it doesn't like only certain .mp3 files?

And just to clarify, I formatted it with the device defaults as follows:

post-67635-0-87559400-1388817767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miek

I can only choose between NTFS and exFAT. If I try to format it with NTFS, I get a "Windows was unable to complete the format" error.

Edited by Miek

That makes no sense...FAT32 is fine for external cards. exFAT is likely the issue here since Linux/Android support is spotty.

Do you have a machine running Vista/XP that you can format it with?

I do not have any system other than this one, and it's running Win7 Ultimate x64. What I *did* have on the card worked perfectly in my S4, so I don't think it's something on Android's end. Right now, I'm not even going so far as to put the card in my phone. I want to load it up with music first. Right now, it's 100% empty from formatting.

EDIT: With some Google searching, I found this program that can force it to format to FAT32. Would it be worth a shot?

Edited by Miek

SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system, which the host device might not support. Since Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires a non-free license, many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT for technical or legal reasons. The use of exFAT on some SDXC cards may render SDXC unsuitable as a universal exchange medium, as an SDXC card that uses exFAT would not be usable in all host devices. Since the FAT32 file system supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, a user could reformat an SDXC card to use FAT32 for greater portability between computers (see below). FAT32-formatted SDXC cards can be used in a host device built for SDHC if the host device can handle 64 GB and larger volumes.

This is a quote from microsoft, there are programs out that will format the card to fat32, I'd sat that woulf solve your problem.

Alright then. I'll try out that program I found and post results.

EDIT: Looks like formatting it to FAT32 did the trick. *shrugs* I don't know why Windows didn't want to play nice with exFAT or NTFS. Read/write times seem to be a bit longer, though. As long as it doesn't cause noticeable latency while playing music files (from my phone over Bluetooth in my car, primarily), I'll be happy enough.

I want to fathom a guess that it somehow has something to do with my card reader. The thing is a few years old now (I bought it when I built my PC). Would it be feasible to suggest that it might not have full support for MicroSDXC?

I should also note that when I first got the card, I left it on the default formatting, put it directly into my phone and copied files to it through a USB cable with my phone acting as the medium between USB and the card. It worked without errors and my media played, but some album art was out of order and it took a REALLY long time to copy things over.

EDIT 2: I formatted my card from my phone (I checked on this, and my phone, by default, formats my card to exFAT with a unit allocation size of 128kb) and tried copying files over to it using the USB cable. No errors, and the speeds are fine so long as I copy over only a few folders at once vs. all the music that will fit. It seems like my S4 just formats the card to its default settings.

Edited by Miek