Greetings!

kennethk

I like the case choice, it's not small by all means lol so make sure that fits your definition of "slim case".

For the mobo, not sure about that MSI, why the 970 NB? You can get the 990FXA-GD80 V2 for less and it's 990FX. Otherwise for an extra $40 you can get the ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z which is a very solid board that will get you higher overclock.

Because it's $100s less and a full atx board.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off let me say welcome to occ where some peoples parents up the vcore to much and didn't use an rog board can you say burnt cerebrum err I ment CPU. I would say even for 4.6 you would probably need to water cool or have a high quality air cooler. You could try a closed loop cooler if you can't afford a custom loop. They can be expensive. Now a little clarification lag free system isn't going to be based solely on CPU as a matter of fact with an fx8350 if you had the right parts memory excetra you don't need to over clock (guys put your jaws back together I said don't need to not don't want to yeesh) anyway as a matter of fact if I'm not right correct me guys but considering lag can happen from other parts of a computer not being up to par I believe bottlenecking is the term if you use sub standard parts you gurante a lag with an oc processor. (here we go again the over clock gods may strike me down) but if all your doing it fore is a lag free system you would be better off with a balanced approach and no over clock (OK I'm still here maybe they approve of the truth) However if your going to over clock and it can be fun you need the right parts. If you don't go with an Cross hair V Formula Z then I still would go ASUS they have the best boards for the price period. However Cross hair is what IM going to use for my build and I would recommend it highly ROG is the Timex of motherboards. Also the software is great for a beginner and the Rogers connect might help you get a little more control over the process. That's the case I'm going with by the way not a bad case I happen to think cooler master has the best cases for the dollar and there packed with a lot of neat features. As for memory It is a personnel preference I would say GSkill very good and what I use in my build and also what I recommend to clients. I would say trident and ripjaws x and z are all good models 1866mhz is a good round number you can go higher. 16gbs will be more than enough for gaming. If you can afford it ssd drives for total storage space is good but expensive the evos from Samsung range between 300 to 650 on new egg right know depending on whether you do a 500gb 750gb or TB drive. Worth I suppose if you can afford it. But keep in mind I have a 4000 dollar budget for my build so grain of salt If not get a nice 120 GB put your os and your choice games on it. Also Jays to cents is a good YouTube channel does a good video on Oct an fx8350.

Edited by Jklein

No Biggie JKlein thanks for info, I really don't know if I'm going to OC or not. 4.2GHz for a cpu seems over kill enough as it is, I use crusial ballastix sports edition ram so it's 1600mhz I think. But yeah right now I'm on a APU and it locks up on me for normal use every so often but works fine for gaming. When It comes to Storage I'm fine there having 2 500GB hdds and a recertified 2tb caviar black (the labels actually white because they offered to upgrade it from a caviar green I guess).

Edited by kennethk

Welcome to OCC! Buy Intel :P

Ivy! No trying to bring Kenn over to the dark side!lol Ken if a lag free system is all you want then of is not for you. Just a good balanced approach 1600 should be fine. If your looking for something with a little more push you can can go with 9370 instead of 8350 but you will need a closed loop cooler. They go up to 4.7 Stock.

Welcome to OCC! Buy Intel :P

Ivy! No trying to bring Kenn over to the dark side!lol Ken if a lag free system is all you want then of is not for you. Just a good balanced approach 1600 should be fine. If your looking for something with a little more push you can can go with 9370 instead of 8350 but you will need a closed loop cooler. They go up to 4.7 Stock.

For under $400 minus ram and psu what parts would you suggest? Still need a newer case.

Also if you go the 9370 route I would go with formula z especially because your going to need to update to the latest bios version to support the chip and as far as I know ROG boards are the only ones that allow bios flash with no CPU and memory. If you go with the MSI call tech support see what they suggest.

Also if you go the 9370 route I would go with formula z especially because your going to need to update to the latest bios version to support the chip and as far as I know ROG boards are the only ones that allow bios flash with no CPU and memory. If you go with the MSI call tech support see what they suggest.

No way would I spend $240 on a mobo I'd rather get a i7 for $300 and a $100 mobo

lol You should see what the ROG boards cost for intel. Everybody as there own opinion on that I tend to think that the board you put your processor in does matter. I mean who is going to buy a processor worth a couple hundred dollars and put it in a cheap board? But that is just me. In the end it depends on how long you plan on keeping your build also. I mean if your somebody who upgrades every time the new socket or chipset comes then it doesn't make sense. Unless your going for an extreme build because nobody her is going to argue that ROG boards have the best set of features and have a reputation for taking punishment that will sends most boards home crying for their mommies. however this the cheapest board I have found with the 990fx chipset and still as a ton of features http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851 This is what I would recommend for you if the formula z is to pricey still has the uefi bios with the software on the formulaz doesnt have all the features but still a pretty decent board. 

lol You should see what the ROG boards cost for intel. Everybody as there own opinion on that I tend to think that the board you put your processor in does matter. I mean who is going to buy a processor worth a couple hundred dollars and put it in a cheap board? But that is just me. In the end it depends on how long you plan on keeping your build also. I mean if your somebody who upgrades every time the new socket or chipset comes then it doesn't make sense. Unless your going for an extreme build because nobody her is going to argue that ROG boards have the best set of features and have a reputation for taking punishment that will sends most boards home crying for their mommies. however this the cheapest board I have found with the 990fx chipset and still as a ton of features http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851 This is what I would recommend for you if the formula z is to pricey still has the uefi bios with the software on the formulaz doesnt have all the features but still a pretty decent board. 

I think I'll just stick with the MSI 970A-G43  there is a 3 year warranty.