MSI sent me the wrong card....

These guys at MSI are killing me.  I have warrantied 4 cards now for overheating problems.  This is their GTX560 Twin Frozer II product that has been nothing but a pain in my ass.  

So with this card warranty, it was running at 88C stock at full load, they swapped the card and sent me a replacement, same as they've done before.  The nice thing is that the turnaround is actually pretty quick, so props for that aspect.  BUT, they sent me back the wrong card! 

Instead of sending me a GTX560, they sent a GTX560Ti.  Normally I would be thrilled for the free upgrade, but not this time.  First off, I was running two 560's in SLI, so a ti is no help paired with the 560.  I haven't actually tried to sli them yet but even if it somehow works the ti will be reduced to normal 560 specs.  Second, the damn card reinforcing bracket is missing!  The black bar that supports the card from warping is not there.  And third, it runs HOT!  Do they even look at the crap they send out, they clearly don't test it.

The box of the TFII claims how well it cools and guarantees temps under 70C at full load.  I slapped it in, ran furmark and watched it climb to 73c.  I turned up all the case fans to the highest setting and got the temps to drop to 71c.  It's not hot here, only 62f (17C) in my office right now so it is definitely not ambient temps throwing this off.  

I'm sure MSI will just swap it out again for me.  Hell I'd just keep it and sell it now if it wasn't missing the bracket and overheating (albeit very slightly).  The ti would at least fetch a higher price, but I'm not the type to try and  pawn this off on some unsuspecting kid. 

Very Very Frustrating.   :wallbash:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my only 2bits is all Femi cards run hot 80c is normal . but if they advertise low temps either they lied or all the cards from rma are broken.

Not to mention SLI.

I'm surprised you hadn't tried to WC them instead.

erm you are complaining about 70c~ temps with a sli set-up?

and wtf furmark, try running a game for a change, i never got why people run furmark to see how hot a card gets, its bullshit.

you never run furmark again and games never make a card as hot as furmark or any other stressprogram does (even not benchmarks)

70c loaded is a REALLY good temp, especially in sli,

do your research next time to see what temps other people are getting with an sli set-up.

my guess is that they run the same temps as you do right now.

some people still can amaze me :/

Edited by WarWeeny

These guys at MSI are killing me.  I have warrantied 4 cards now for overheating problems.  This is their GTX560 Twin Frozer II product that has been nothing but a pain in my ass.  

So with this card warranty, it was running at 88C stock at full load, they swapped the card and sent me a replacement, same as they've done before.  The nice thing is that the turnaround is actually pretty quick, so props for that aspect.  BUT, they sent me back the wrong card! 

Instead of sending me a GTX560, they sent a GTX560Ti.  Normally I would be thrilled for the free upgrade, but not this time.  First off, I was running two 560's in SLI, so a ti is no help paired with the 560.  I haven't actually tried to sli them yet but even if it somehow works the ti will be reduced to normal 560 specs.  Second, the damn card reinforcing bracket is missing!  The black bar that supports the card from warping is not there.  And third, it runs HOT!  Do they even look at the crap they send out, they clearly don't test it.

The box of the TFII claims how well it cools and guarantees temps under 70C at full load.  I slapped it in, ran furmark and watched it climb to 73c.  I turned up all the case fans to the highest setting and got the temps to drop to 71c.  It's not hot here, only 62f (17C) in my office right now so it is definitely not ambient temps throwing this off.  

I'm sure MSI will just swap it out again for me.  Hell I'd just keep it and sell it now if it wasn't missing the bracket and overheating (albeit very slightly).  The ti would at least fetch a higher price, but I'm not the type to try and  pawn this off on some unsuspecting kid. 

Very Very Frustrating.   :wallbash:

For one Furmark is an artificially high load that will crush the cooling system on any card. 73C in Furmark for a Fermi based card is actually pretty darn good with any cooling solution. Right now I have a pair of reference GTX 580s in SLI running F@H full time. The temperatures on the cards reach as high as 97C with the fans on full speed with excellent case airflow. 

I folded on my sli560s at ~60C with sub 20C ambient. And when running a furmark or kombuster bench it would shoot to 70-80C temps in seconds.

Furmark and the like are very unfair referances for temps and fur mark has even been shown to kill GPUs by loading them far too high.

True get a 560 to get your slightly going properly and get a retention bracket if its meant to have one but as far as the cooling is going it is fine.

FurMark isn't realistic...my 4870X2s...watercooled no less, ran hotter than you're going crazy over.

Perhaps you should just stop staring at the temperature monitor and play some games?

erm you are complaining about 70c~ temps with a sli set-up?

and wtf furmark, try running a game for a change, i never got why people run furmark to see how hot a card gets, its bullshit.

you never run furmark again and games never make a card as hot as furmark or any other stressprogram does (even not benchmarks)

70c loaded is a REALLY good temp, especially in sli,

do your research next time to see what temps other people are getting with an sli set-up.

my guess is that they run the same temps as you do right now.

some people still can amaze me :/

Well its good to test for stability if you are overclocking. Games are good for that sure, but lots of games cater differently to different settings. At least with a stress program you are minimizing the margin of error

Perhaps you should just stop staring at the temperature monitor and play some games?

This man speaks the truth :withstupid:

Edited by damian

I wouldn't use Furmark on any of my video cards........... for any reason.

As others have pointed out, you are always going to have one hot card when running in SLi.  Think about all the heat that floats up to that top card when both gpus are under load................

I'd keep the Ti "upgrade", sell your vanilla 560 and pick up a matching Ti for your rig.

And really for the world of me.........  I don't see video card "warping" as a problem on that size card.  However, if it makes you feel better contact MSI - tell them the bracket is missing and I'm pretty sure they will be happy to get you a replacement in the mail free of charge.

Maybe I didn't make it clear that I tested the cards one at a time, not in sli.  When in sli temps do jump by about 10C, as expected.  The reason I started testing is because I was getting funny effects and artifacts in game.  So first thing I did was ran furmark and watched my one card climb straight towards 100C, and it was the lower card in the sli setup.  I then pulled the cards and tested one at a time.  

Now not is SLI and testing, the card I RMA's was hitting 88C, not in SLI, fans on manual 100%, and really good case air flow.    

Why furmark?

MSI bundles afterburner with kombuster (aka furmark) with the cards.  This is their stability program that they include with their own cards for testing.  So when it fails to meet their advertised specs using their supplied stability program I print the screen and send it along with the card.  

The new ti card at 70c isn't that bad.  It just didn't meet there advertised specs is all.  I'm sure I could replace the tim and get it under 70 real easily.  That wasn't the real issue here, but more of strike three.

Also my other 560 runs solid at 60C running furmark.  Not in SLI, fans all turned up, 99% load, stock clocks and volts.  So I had one card running at 60 and the other at 88.  28C difference seems right to you guys?  I don't think so.