Google Apps Questions

kendellrt

Now I found another question about the router.  It has DNS-based web filtering options.  You can choose predefined DNS servers, or use your own DNS URLs.  The services it offers in the drop down box are as follows:

OpenDNS

Noton Connect Safe

Yanx.DNS

The issue is that right under the dropdown box with the available services, there are spots to place DNS addresses.  These four spots are are autopopullated, but with the Google DNS addresses.  It does have some random language about that being a custom field.  What do I do with those fields?  Leave them with the Google DNS, put in the DNS addresses specific to the chosen DNS service, or the addresses for my own ISP?

All of the custom DNS address blocks should have been blank if those fields weren't ever modified before.  In that case the traffic is routed through the default DNS server addresses as assigned by your OP.  I seldom use a router as a DNS server in a small network environment - it just adds overhead to the router in my opinion without much tangible benefit.

However, I do set custom DNS addresses on client PCs whenever that is feasible.