Better overclocking potential because of higher CPU power phase design

El_Capitan

So someone buying a rig for me wanted the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe instead of the ASUS P8Z77-M Pro with an i5 2500K. The P8Z77-M Pro has a 6-phase design for the CPU while the P8Z68 Deluxe has a 12-phase design. I noticed that redoing the overclocks after I switched the motherboards, that I needed less Vcore to get the same overclock.

ASUS P8Z77-M Pro:

4.9GHz = 1.44V in BIOS

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe:

4.9GHz = 1.41V in BIOS

5.0GHz = 1.45V in BIOS

So, basically I needed less Vcore (pretty much same exact settings used - where allowed, except the Vcore).

Was this because of the higher power phase design?

I thought the overclocking potential was more for the CPU you got, and not really the motherboard... but maybe the motherboard you have also helps? 

If that's the case, then for my 3930K, the Rampage IV Extreme (8-phase CPU) vs the P9X79 Deluxe (16-phase CPU), the cheaper P9X79 Deluxe would theoretically have better overclocking potential than the Rampage IV Extreme? Meaning that instead of 4.8GHz at 1.39V in BIOS, I might be able to get 4.9GHz at 1.4V in BIOS with the Deluxe? Any thoughts?

Isn't that the whole idea behind powerphase?

My dumb understanding:

VRM are buck converters (converts voltage from the PSU to a small enough amount usable by the CPU). Theoretically, more of them means more converters that  which means there's lesser strain on each VRM. Lesser strain results in lesser inefficiencies (theoretically, they work less so less heat//waste are produced) so 'cleaner' voltages are supplied to the CPU = Less actual voltages needed.

But IMO we need to take Qualities into account. If there's (for discussion purposes) 8 Grade C CPU VRMs on Board A and 8 Grade A CPU VRMs on Board B, Board B would likely convert 'cleaner' voltages and thus requiring less actual voltages.

CMIIW :cheers:

That's interesting, perhaps more load across more mosfets  equals less heat, The 16- phase is vary good marketing and may give a slight improvement over 8-phase.

Double post... :lol:  

Edited by Braegnok

In my opinion, when you are reaching 4.9GHz with M-pro, you should be more than happy with it.

M-pro was made mainly for those users who like to do mild overclocking and for whose who use small chassis. (I think)

And price does matter. There is many reason for which price of M-pro is almost half of V-deluxe. :whistling:

el capitan,.. your hunch was correct. Back in 2006 when Asus came out with the 8-phase motherboard, it was tested with the top 6-phase boards using the same processor.

And they got higher overclocks with less V-Core along with lower PCB temps. Seems the more phases, the faster is the regulation of the vrm unit to transients. :cheers:

So your 4.9GHz @ 1.4V on the Deluxe, is looking good.

It may well be more PCB related than phase related. If the signal, voltage and ground layers are less robust I can see it. Are you using the same levels of LLC on each board. If the adjustments are not as granular then you have some variance there as well.  ASUS builds their boards so that they have roughly the same OC margins from the top to the bottom of the product stack. This holds pretty close to true when you compare them. 

el capitan,.. your hunch was correct. Back in 2006 when Asus came out with the 8-phase motherboard, it was tested with the top 6-phase boards using the same processor.

And they got higher overclocks with less V-Core along with lower PCB temps. Seems the more phases, the faster is the regulation of the vrm unit to transients. :cheers:

More lanes on the highway give you less load in each lane for the same amount of traffic. More mosfets gives the same result. More even loading and lower temps.

More lanes on the highway give you less load in each lane for the same amount of traffic. More mosfets gives the same result. More even loading and lower temps.

Now, where is the like button? :tongue:

From another response:

1. Less voltage usually means less ripple. There are several ways of reducing it. One of them is to have higher true phase count which is 6 for both Z77-M Pro and Z68 Deluxe. The other way is to use more/better capacitors and better inductors. ROG boards usually use better inductors than non-ROG Asus boards.

Also both P9X79 Deluxe and RIVE have true 8 phase count, so it's hard to predict whether P9X79 Deluxe will perform any better or worse than RIVE.

2. You also don't want to believe to voltage readings given by software. Use a multimeter instead.

First, I guess I'll have to start taking voltage readings using a multimeter these days. What a pain. :P

How does one find out the true phase count?