My first gun shall be?

IVIYTH0S

If I were going to go big bore right off the bat I'd be looking at a Ruger P95.  You can't beat the price, they are made in the USA and overall first time quality is very good.  You can pick up a P95 at most big box Sporting Good Stores (Cabelas for example) for less than $400.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That video was entertaining on so many levels. I didn't know they let private citizens own firearms in Russia :)

its a fake accent, the guy isn't actually Russian, bit he is pretty funny and has some badass videos.

I know this question was asked earlier, but I didn't see an answer to it. The first really big question is, what do you intend/plan to do with said firearm? Once you determine a purpose for it, then you can start narrowing the playing field down. Also when most people recommend a firearm, they generally recommend what they like and what works for them. There's a reason that there are so many choices out there, because 1 model does not work for everyone. The best thing for you to do (after you figure out the purpose of your firearm) is to go to your local gun shop and handle as many guns as possible, and try to rent each one that feels comfortable to you. Also take whatever the gun store clerk says with a grain of salt and remember that he is trying to sell you a gun.

It appears that you're leaning towards a .22lr, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They're affordable and cheap to shoot, and you can really learn the basics without having to worry about things like recoil etc.. As some one already mentioned though, it's not a very good choice for self defense, but it is better than not having a firearm at all.

Also your $500 max budget will easily cover a very nice .22lr, but you'll just barely be breaking into the tuperware guns(glocks, m&p's, xd's, etc). Most of the good polymer gun's start at that range, and if you are interested in getting one of those it is worth it to save up that extra hundred bucks to get a reliable firearm.

I see you mentioned that if you did get a .22lr you'd potentially get a larger caliber in the future. If you end up renting a larger caliber and decide you like it, you might be better off starting with that first; and when that extra money comes around, use it to take some good classes through a reputable instructor.

Either way, no matter which route you go, try to buy something from a quality manufacturer. Every firearms manufacturer is capable of producing duds, but the quality ones will stand behind their product and take care of you in the long run.

A fair question, I suppose I always wanted to learn how to shoot with my dad. Just one of those life skills I'd like to have along with a decent self defense tool. I plan to feel out many different guns and renting a few (while being able to test my friends' for free).

Yeah I'm leaning heavily on a 22, I can always practice with recoil on my friend's glock 22.

I haven't read much into the varying build materials of guns, and it hadn't even dawned on me to do so. You're saying polymer guns are better than metal guns? Are they lighter and more reliable??

Yeah but whatever money I save by getting a larger caliber to start would assuredly be made up for by having to feed it more expensive ammo right??

I hear that, I think that Sig was taking care of a lot of the people who were having problems with the Mosquito.

If I were going to go big bore right off the bat I'd be looking at a Ruger P95.  You can't beat the price, they are made in the USA and overall first time quality is very good.  You can pick up a P95 at most big box Sporting Good Stores (Cabelas for example) for less than $400.

That does seem tempting for the price, though there's still the 9mm vs .22 ammo price difference to consider.

just found this on youtube,  one of the reasons i love my glock 19

I'll have to check that out later, when I'm home from school

I haven't read much into the varying build materials of guns, and it hadn't even dawned on me to do so. You're saying polymer guns are better than metal guns? Are they lighter and more reliable??

Sorry, what I meant was that for your price range you'd be in the playing field for a quality polymer framed handgun. The debate between which is better is never ending. IMO you can't go wrong with either. I own both polymer and metal framed handgun's, and I'd trust my life to both types. They both have their pro's and con's, but at this stage of the game it pretty much boils down to preference.

Yeah but whatever money I save by getting a larger caliber to start would assuredly be made up for by having to feed it more expensive ammo right??

Yes, it will definitely cost more to feed than a .22lr. Nothing compares to a .22lr when it comes to cost/bullet. In my area(IF you can find ammo right now) .22lr is roughly $20 for 500 rounds, while 9mm is roughly $20 for 100 rounds. Another option though, is to purchase a .22lr conversion kit for a larger caliber handgun. This allows you to practice and learn the trigger/weapon system for one handgun instead of trying to bounce between multiple handguns.

I hear that, I think that Sig was taking care of a lot of the people who were having problems with the Mosquito.

I currently have a Mosquito in my collection, and it's a nice plinker. It's still teething right now during break in, but it is very accurate. Unfortunately, Sig does recommend that you feed it premium ammo(I believe CCI mini mags if memory serves correct). Overall it is a fun little pistol, but IMO fit and finish are lacking as well as a few other details for the price.

Edited by mpj

Sorry, what I meant was that for your price range you'd be in the playing field for a quality polymer framed handgun. The debate between which is better is never ending. IMO you can't go wrong with either. I own both polymer and metal framed handgun's, and I'd trust my life to both types. They both have their pro's and con's, but at this stage of the game it pretty much boils down to preference.

Yes, it will definitely cost more to feed than a .22lr. Nothing compares to a .22lr when it comes to cost/bullet. In my area(IF you can find ammo right now) .22lr is roughly $20 for 500 rounds, while 9mm is roughly $20 for 100 rounds. Another option though, is to purchase a .22lr conversion kit for a larger caliber handgun. This allows you to practice and learn the trigger/weapon system for one handgun instead of trying to bounce between multiple handguns.

I currently have a Mosquito in my collection, and it's a nice plinker. It's still teething right now during break in, but it is very accurate. Unfortunately, Sig does recommend that you feed it premium ammo(I believe CCI mini mags if memory serves correct). Overall it is a fun little pistol, but IMO fit and finish are lacking as well as a few other details for the price.

Oh I see, haha. I won't worry about heavily researching guns of any one type of frame then. Thanks!

Hmmm, that had crossed my mind, and I'm guessing the conversion is reversible at any point? (I'd probably get a nice 9mm pistol and convert to .22LR for practice/learning, and then convert back for when it's at home...unless you can only do it once)

Yeah, that sounds right. It was CCI mini mags for maybe 500-1000 rounds before considering a more budget brand, there was another quality make that was recommended too but I forget which. I wonder if you have the first or second generation mosquito (since the second generation is said to be more forgiving and less picky with ammo...though after a nice break-in they're supposed to both be very accommodating and great guns)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I know you said you were going to try multiple guns but I think you should go into that without your mind made up.  I remember the first time I had exposure to trying out multiple guns it kind of surprised me.  My friend had a really nice .22 and my aim was pretty bad with it.  Most of the rounds fired that day were from the .22.  I did good with a .38 but the gun powder discharge kind of annoyed me, but it sure got everyone's attention according to my friend ...even the kids with the Uzi came by to check it out.  Then I tried the .45 last and for some reason I did best with that.  So I do better with larger calibers, for now at least.

Not saying everyone is the same or that a .45 is better, simply it was that day that made me realize you don't know what works for you until you try out as much as you can.  Sure a .45 would be far more expensive but if it is something you really want you will find a way to make it work and get the money you need.  Some people say you should fire 500-1000 rounds before you feel like you know your gun ...since by then you will have had it awhile and cleaned it multiple times.  People who are extremely proficient with guns will adapt quicker.  So if you think about purely the ammo cost perspective, sure it may make more financial sense, but don't forget what the purpose of a gun is for.  And if your ultimate goal is self-protection you should be comfortable.   Being comfortable with your choice (specific gun, knife, martial art) can save your life and if it saves your life how can put a price tag on that?

I say try as many calibers as you can.  It's cheaper (if you know your gun collection will be small) to buy the gun that fits you best than to go whole hog on and then realize later it doesn't really fit you - i.e. a lot cheaper to feed 1 gun than 2 or 3.  If you knew you wanted a large gun collection than I wouldn't have typed this post.

Found my gun! :teehee:  (this is actually a legal SA .22 pistol, the Kel-Tec PLR-22)

b_9cbd4a1161720d98f4cd8787d757139aCIMG18

More seriously, I've taken a liking to this. Hear nothing but good things, it's cosmic looking and unique, and a price that nothing can beat and still be quality!

Beretta U22 Neos (I'd LOVE to find the now rare 7.5" barrel for now but I'll probably just get the 6")

12212770_2_x.jpg

Edited by IVIYTH0S