More RAM!

3x2Gb is what I currently have. Did you use the same type of ram, timing etc. Did you have to increase any voltage once you did this?

My original ram is 1600mhz CL8 3x2GB

then I added

1600mhz CL9 3x4GB

and run them all at 1604mhz CL9

And no the first set was OCZ low profile memory and the new ones are Patriot sticks with large heatsinks

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha. Nice. I read some problems with overclocks when adding 32 Gb. Maybe I should only add 4 x 4 Gb= 16Gb.

What happens is that you are adding stress to the memory controller at that point. If you have a stellar memory controller on your CPU you can use a lower qpi voltage to run that much memory. Your configuration will be based on multiples of 6 6,12, 24,48 with 1,2,4,and 8GB modules respectively. If your memory controller is not that good you will need to increase the qpi voltage to bring back stability.

Compatible with Intel LGA1155/LGA1156 and AMD AM3/Llano/AM3+ platforms

Intel XMP support for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

Will this work with the LGA1366?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

Sure, you just need to use 3 of them to stay in triple channel mode

I think am at at about 1.9 QPI voltage right now. I really appreciate all of the help. Alot of the ram does not say compatable with x58 motherboards. Am I safe to assume that if it says DDR 3 PC12800 it should be compatible?

Edited by thepar

You could have 1 stick in there and it would work properly, just three is ideal since that gives some bandwidth advantages on the X58 platform.

Personally I'd just stick with 6GB or maybe get a kit of 12GB (three sticks of 4GB) and then populate the other three slots... or you could throw in three sticks of 8GB but they'd probably be expensive

I think am at at about 1.9 QPI voltage right now. I really appreciate all of the help. Alot of the ram does not say compatable with x58 motherboards. Am I safe to assume that if it says DDR 3 PC12800 it should be compatible?

isnt that voltage a bit high? I generally wont go above 1.45v on the QPI/VTT voltage..