Plugging mouse into keyboard USB port

Hey guise, I was wondering if anyone plugs their usb mouse into a keyboard usb port. Its just an idea that I had. If so, tell me what it feels like. use descriptive adjectives please. Also, anyone god a mod to stick a keycap remover on your keyboard. A sorta trapdoor system would be cool, but I doubt thats possible.

Some keyboards only have USB 1.1 ports on them. My G15 has 2x USB 1.1 un-powered ports. It makes them totally useless. As my mouse requires USB 2.0 I cant plug it in, and the only other USB devices I use are memory sticks which again are much better plugged into my monitors USB 2.0 powered hub.

Some keybaords have a "pass through" port. This is where the keyboard has a second USB cable you plug into your PC, which then gives you 1 full power USB 2.0 port. Basically just a big extension.

But practically why do you need it?
It would look cleaner.

You see the back of my computer when you walk into my room and it is a disaster, if I could eliminate even one of those wires it would look better.

wouldn't this cause a delay on the mouse though since the signal will have to travel a much longer distance to get to the motherboard? Even if it's practically impossible to notice it.

There's not much data a mouse needs to pass. It could be limited depending on the Report Rate of the mouse. I guess it would be a good test to try out, but honestly, I have a USB extension cable for my HD web cam, and it's not affected by it at all. A mouse really won't have issues going through a good keyboard USB port.

• 2 weeks later...

Theoretically possible.

But practically why do you need it? Already ran out of USB ports in the motherboard? :lol:

My keyboard uses usb ports from the motherboard so it wouldn't help. I was just thinking this might help how some times the cord gets caught on a rough edge where the it bends around the table.

wouldn't this cause a delay on the mouse though since the signal will have to travel a much longer distance to get to the motherboard? Even if it's practically impossible to notice it.

Are you really considering the speed of light over a few feet as significant?

As my mouse requires USB 2.0 I cant plug it in,

This is likely not about needing a 2.0 port as much as needing power. USB 2.0 devices work fine on USB 1 ports.