Forum 'Reputation System' Enabled For All Users

When we upgraded the forum software, one feature included was a Member Reputation System. We are happy to announce that this has now been enabled for all registered members on the OCC Forums. We are still looking at it and will probably tweak things as the system becomes more used.

Some basic FAQ info for the system:

What kind of rep is available?

Users may give both positive and negative rep points.

Can I give myself rep?

No.

Can I give rep to staff members?

No.

How much rep can I give?

This varies based on which user group you belong to.

• General Member (Members, Folding, SETI, etc.) can give 3 positive and 3 negative points per 24 hours.
  • Donated Member can give 5 positive and 5 negative points per 24 hours.
  • Staff (Reviewers, Editors, News team, etc.) can give a few more points than our donators points per 24 hours.
  • Admin & Mods can give significantly more points per 24 hours.

What does the rep mean?

Much like post count, not a whole lot. It is a general idea of how useful other members have found you and your posts in the forums. Having a 0 or negative rep does not necessarily mean you are a horrible member or that the post content is innacurate.

How do I view my rep?

At this time, you cannot. Each member's total rep is only visable to the forum administrators at this time.

What are the benefits and drawback to having a high or low rep?

Right now, not much. We will monitor and evaluate the usage as time progresses. For low rep people, we may evaluate posts to see if the member needs to be suspended and/or banned. For high reps we may use it as basis for rewards, exclusive contests, or even new staff selection. We may also use the rep system to restrict access to certain forums (i.e. must have a positive rep to enter the market place).

Can I use the rep system as a way to flag spammers?

No. You should use the 'Report' button to flag spammers for a moderator to review. Besides, you do not want to use up your limited number of points for the day.

Does this replace the star rating for topics?

No. These are two different things.

Does this replace the warning level?

No. These are two different things.

How do I give rep points?

This is done by clicking the green + or red - button in the lower right corner of each post (directly above the multiquote button). You will not see the buttons for those you cannot give rep to (i.e. staff).

Can I filter posts based on rep?

Yes. At the bottom of each topic is a setting that will allow you to hide posts that are below 'x' points.

Anything else I should know?

We will be monitoring the system to keep an eye out for any suspicious behavior. Those abusing or trying to game the system will suffer consequences, up to and including permanent ban.

Cool, hopefully this works well and gets positively integrated into OCC.

:)

Muahahahaha -5 points for butt kissing. :evilgrin:

Kidding, kidding. :whistling:

• Like 2

d3bruts1d,

Where is the Rep Button Located?

That is the + and - buttons in the lower right corner of each post (directly above the multiquote button. It is only displayed for those that can recieve rep (i.e. non-staff).

That is the + and - buttons in the lower right corner of each post (directly above the multiquote button. It is only displayed for those that can recieve rep (i.e. non-staff).

You should probably add that to your original post, as I wouldn't have thought "voting up/down a post" would have been the rep system for a user either.

Informative post overall though.

What is wrong with staff receiving reputation?

*shrug*

Probably afraid some people may be bitter and take revenge on moderators? :lol:

But yeah, for the other staff positions, I don't see why a rep system wouldn't work.

PS. Bryan, is there a way to display the rep in the avatar section? It seems it's only viewable on the profile (or profile pop-up).

You should probably add that to your original post, as I wouldn't have thought "voting up/down a post" would have been the rep system for a user either.

Informative post overall though.

stupid.gif I noticed the + / - but I didn't understand what it meant to vote a post up. As Clay said.

Thanks for Clarifying d3!

What is wrong with staff receiving reputation?

*shrug*

Andrew, It really just comes down to this.

We're Awesome!

Nuff said! rolleyes.gif