watercooling loop using used parts

hi guys, i new to watercooling so need some opinion from all of you. i don't wanna buy new parts since this is my first loop and i barely had any idea what i'm doing hehehe :P so better waste it on cheaper used parts.

rad- rx240

block- xspc rasa

pump- jingway dp1200@ ek dcp 4.0 or AC aquastream xt usb

tubing- 1/2 iD

fitting-1/2 barb

res- cheapo cylindrical res

my question is how is the performance of the rasa block compared to newer block like the raystorm? is there going to be a large difference between them?

the jingway pump is brand new and aquastream pump is on clearance sale. take note that this is the cheapest pump i can find so please pick one for me :)

Use the aquastream pump. Its much better then The jingway..... The jingway appears to be a knock off of a knock off.. EK pump I think.

I did not like the Rasa block. The older swiftech blocks performed better and didn't seep from time to time on me. Can I suggest something from EK or swiftech??

Other then that looks good. The rasa radiator works pretty good. I have had several XSPC radiators and they have all worked well.

hmm... how about used apogee xt? i can get it even cheaper than the rasa block.... i leaning toward the jingway pump because of it's higher flowrate and smaller size. the aquastream pump is quite big and flowrate is rather mediocre for it's size but it is silent with less vibration from what  i've heard..

i think jingway is the oem for both ek and danger den pump they just change the sticker :)

The Apogee XT is a good block.  I've still got one in my parts drawer at home.  It was another one of those that it was hard to beat the price for the performance at the time.  A good looking block too.

Since you're buying used make sure that the seller includes all of the mounting hardware and brackets that came with the block.

• 1 month later...

hi guys, i finally got all the parts except radiator. hunting for used parts here is not as easy as it looks :doh: i almost swipe my card for the new d5 photon kit out of frustration :wacko: here is the list

used xspc raystorm block

used ek dcp 4.0

used ek reservoir combo dcp 4.0

new xspc 3/8 barb(couldn't find anyone using barb these days)

some 3/8 id 1/2 od tubing from hardware store

some 5/16 id 1/2 od white tubing salvaged from old shower head :lol:

money spend as of now myr300=91$usd

all that's left is rad and i really need your guys input on this. if noise is not an issue but space is which one will you pick? rx240 push only or ex240 push pull? i got a pair of delta EFB1212VH waiting to be strap on to a rad :evilgrin:

i know you guys going to question the choice of tubing, i pick 3/8id over 1/2id due to size. the 1/2id is just too big and will be hard to manage cause i will be using a small case for this loop( cm n200) and since the performance drop is negligible  i rather use small tubing than have a snake nesting inside my case :P i might be tempted to use that 5/16 tube cause it' more flexible and i don't have to use clamps cause it will be a tight fit on 3/8 barb :happy:

I don't suggest anything from EK simply because I hate them for all the BS they've tried to pull in the past few years. :lol:

sorry for not listening to your advice wacko, i end up buying ek parts after all hehehe :lol:

No matter how tight the tubing is on the barbs, I recommend using clamps as a secondary safety measure.  Since it's your first build I'd stay simple with the radiator and fan setup.  A decent set of fans in push configuration should work just fine on the RX240.  Now you don't mention what all you plan on cooling, but based on your parts list it looks like a cpu only loop.

As for your tubing, you mentioned that you are getting it at the hardware store.  Make sure that you are choosing tubing that is capable of handling the pressure inside the loop.  If you have any doubts use reinforced tubing.  Much of the 3/8 tubing in hardware stores here in the US has pretty thin wall thickness so I'd personally be pretty butt puckered using that in a setup that could ruin hundreds of dollars worth of gear if you spring a leak or bust a hose.

For the blocks, I wasn't a big fan of the Rasa, but I really like the Raystorm I'm using right now.  If the Raystorm block you're using is the acrylic version be careful not to over-tighten the mounting hardware or you'll find that the acrylic block will start to bend.

If you bust a hose you either have a heat problem or a blockage somewhere (along with a stupid strong pump). Even the super cheap clear tubing at the hardware store can handle something like 30 PSI and you should be nowhere near that in normal operation.

That said, use clamps. There's no excuse not to even on a budget build.

Always leak test with your hardware powered down. A slight drip over the course of a 24 hour leak test could be the difference between fixing a single leak and lots of dead hardware.

No matter how tight the tubing is on the barbs, I recommend using clamps as a secondary safety measure.  Since it's your first build I'd stay simple with the radiator and fan setup.  A decent set of fans in push configuration should work just fine on the RX240.  Now you don't mention what all you plan on cooling, but based on your parts list it looks like a cpu only loop.

As for your tubing, you mentioned that you are getting it at the hardware store.  Make sure that you are choosing tubing that is capable of handling the pressure inside the loop.  If you have any doubts use reinforced tubing.  Much of the 3/8 tubing in hardware stores here in the US has pretty thin wall thickness so I'd personally be pretty butt puckered using that in a setup that could ruin hundreds of dollars worth of gear if you spring a leak or bust a hose.

For the blocks, I wasn't a big fan of the Rasa, but I really like the Raystorm I'm using right now.  If the Raystorm block you're using is the acrylic version be careful not to over-tighten the mounting hardware or you'll find that the acrylic block will start to bend.

noted on the clamp, about the radiator i've been doing a lot of reading at martin's liquid lab and skinnee lab and learn that a radiator's cooling capability is not determined by it's size or thickness but more by the design/fin count and fan speed it was optimized for. so that is why i'm on the fence now on which rad i should pick :huh: i'm the high speed fan type of guy and noise is not an issue for me so i want a rad that will cool the cpu at medium to high fan speed and will cool even further if i decide to dial the fan to full speed or add another pair for push pull configuration( EFB1212VH max out at 3300rpm with 6.94mmH20 sp)

i think i'm gonna ditch the rx240 and ex240 from the list and look for another rad that will suit my preference since both rad is optimized for low to medium fan speed with not much performance gained going to higher fan speed. and then size is another factor, after doing some quick calculation i can only use up to 50mm rad thickness or i will not have the space to put my pump/res so the rx240 is no go.

about the tubing, we actually use metric here and the tube size is 9.5mmID and 13mmOD so the wall is a little bit thicker i just convert the size to the nearest inch so you guys will have a clear picture :happy:

along with a stupid strong pump

this :lol: i remember back in the 2000 era people were using industrial water pump like iwaki for their custom loop burst some tubing here and there which is quite scary, but i'm highly doubtful pc water pump these days get anywhere near that kind of pressure

I respect Waco's opinion, but I'd never use the generic clear 3/8" tubing that's available here in our local Lowes, Home Depot or Ace Hardware stores.......

To me it's worth the peace of mind to use tubing that is tried and true even if it is a little more expensive.  Plus sometimes if wall thickness gets too think the hose wants to kink even more in tight bends.

I respect Waco's opinion, but I'd never use the generic clear 3/8" tubing that's available here in our local Lowes, Home Depot or Ace Hardware stores.......

To me it's worth the peace of mind to use tubing that is tried and true even if it is a little more expensive.  Plus sometimes if wall thickness gets too think the hose wants to kink even more in tight bends.

I'm with Waco on this one, I would have no problems as far as the reliability of the tubing found at a Lowes or Home Depot.  The stuff you find there as far as the ability to move the water in a normal PC water cooling loop is 100% capable.  Like Waco said it would take some serious pressure relative to what the kind of pumps we're talking put out to bust a hose.  I once got the bright idea to use a high pressure pond pump a guy was going to throw out (The kind used to spray a fountain a few feet in the air) in a WC loop and while the cheapo hose held on fine the plastic clamps swiftech sent out with some of their old WC stuff (not sure if they still use them) however would not keep the hose on the barbs, swapped to regular metal clamps and all was well. One reason it's NOT a good choice however is none of the clear tubing I've ever bought at lowes/HD will stay clear for very long and tends to yellow, your call if that's a major factor or not but it could ruin the "cool" factor of the loop.  

Whatever you decide to do enjoy your water and just be sure to leak test!