Ivy Bridge delayed until June...

They estimate a 5-15% improvement in CPU performance. That is pretty impressive and, IMO, worth waiting another few weeks and paying the same price as the SB equivalent.

I've heard some rumours that IB might be as hot as SB-E since its using tri-gate but that doesnt sound right to me since its 22nm and should be much cooler :-/

I've heard some rumours that IB might be as hot as SB-E since its using tri-gate but that doesnt sound right to me since its 22nm and should be much cooler :-/

Smaller die with similar heat output == hotter temperatures. :)

• Like 1

Smaller die with similar heat output == hotter temperatures. :)

Shouldn't the nm shrink decrease the heat output or is it because they completely upgraded the onboard GPU which is probably where most of the heat is coming from ?

Shouldn't the nm shrink decrease the heat output or is it because they completely upgraded the onboard GPU which is probably where most of the heat is coming from ?

I believe Waco is trying to say that an IB chip won't be able to dissipate as much heat since there will be less surface area to contact with.

Die shrink usually = less heat.

I believe Waco is trying to say that an IB chip won't be able to dissipate as much heat since there will be less surface area to contact with.

Exactly.

70 watts out of a 20 mm square die will be a lot hotter than 95 watts out of a 30 mm square die.

Exactly.

70 watts out of a 20 mm square die will be a lot hotter than 95 watts out of a 30 mm square die.

Efficiency is a large factor in heat, as well. Chances are that the smaller die will be more efficient than the larger die, so that might offset the heat factor.

Anyways, the release date is April 23rd, I think. We'll find out soon enough.

http://www.slashgear.com/ivy-bridge-tipped-for-april-23rd-launch-12222610/