Steam Comming to OSX!

greengiant912

Sounds interesting.

I don't know why you'd want to game on a MAC anyways.

MAC hardware is overpriced and most MACs don't have the greatest hardware plus they can't be upgraded beyond basic things like hard drives or RAM.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what your saying is that it is a complete waste of time to develop for non windows platforms right?
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying when it comes to games. Like I said, anyone that considers themselves a PC gamer uses Windows. Mac users either have a separate Windows PC, use VMWare or dual-boot, or use consoles.

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you?

The Apple Mouse (aka "Mighty Mouse") is a 5 button mouse, and while the scroll ball sucks it isn't that bad of a mouse. The Magic Mouse is a 2 button mouse, but more akin to a laptop's trackpad than a traditional mouse, and not something I would see people using for gaming.

Additionally, you can use pretty much any USB mouse (Logitech, Microsoft, or Razer) with a Mac.

Yes, older Apple mice, including the infamous "puck mouse" (WTF were they thinking??) only had 1 button... but really now, those haven't been around for 10 years. Get over it already.

You talking about this 1 button mouse that came with the Mac Mini I am working on right now? Regardless on support for other USB mice, wouldn't the controls need to at least default to a 1-button system if new Macs come with them?

You talking about this 1 button mouse that came with the Mac Mini I am working on right now? Regardless on support for other USB mice, wouldn't the controls need to at least default to a 1-button system if new Macs come with them?

Most PC games allow key remapping. As long as they don't require more than one mouse button in the menus, they shouldn't need to redo default controls.

Games have been available for OS X, and the Mac platform in general, for a long time.

Key word = the games. I was referring to the Valve catalog.

And games with the one click mouse? Must be pretty stupid to play with that

Modern games on a 10 year old system, regardless of OS, is stupid.

New Mac mice are admittedly very functional.

Edited by tkrow21

The Mac Mini doesn't come with a mouse, or a keyboard for that matter.

For all of you that are against this idea, what's the big deal? So they'll be making games for Macs, which increases sales of these games, which the companies can put toward development of new games. I fail to see how more sales = bad idea

I honestly think the idea of hating a mac is pretty stupid and overrated, if anyone hates a mac then it is for one of two reasons, they think they "fit in" for hating mac or they just aren't capable of adapting to something new, kind of like how people say the PS3 sucks because they aren't capable of using it's controller.

I've used pretty much every windows OS since 3.1 and I refuse to consider any of them good operating systems except for xp. I've used at least 3 different mac operating systems and while I didn't take to them right away, they aren't hard to use or impractical, everything is just placed differently than it is in windows, that's all. I've used about 5 different linux operating systems and it felt about the same as using a mac, wasn't used to it at first but wasn't difficult to get used to do.

Honestly though, if I had a choice between gaming on a windows, mac, or linux mahcine, then I would go with linux, unfortunately microsoft makes anything they have ever developed proprietary crap.

As for mac mice... they still suck even today, they've improved a lot but they still suck compared to a $5 mouse at radioshack or best buy, but like someone else said, mac can use just about any kind of mouse so it's not a big deal.

Honestly I think a lot of people in this thread are hating on mac just to be hating on mac, just a blind hate my own blind hate for the xbox 360.

+1 all the MAC computers in my school have the one button mouse. And these are not old, max is around 3 years old. It still exists today.

Good news for mac users :), I second CompxPert in that they should make a linux client/support.

I love windows but the only thing keeping me from toying with the others is mac/price and linux/games (and other select software)

If I recall the last time I checked the Steam forums there was a higher demand for a Linux client than there was for Mac. And I swore that Valve stated they had no intentions of ever making a client for any OS other than Windows.

I don't hate Macs because everyone else does I hate Macs because they are overpriced for the hardware and from my own personal experience with them when I was in high school, my 200Mhz Intel Pentium with 32 Mb of ram worked far better than even the new at the time iMacs. Sure maybe they have gotten better over the years, but my experience with them has not been very enjoyable. My pc never crashed when I would use Word but those iMacs would crash when using the word processor that came with them, I can't remember the name of it atm.

It might not be long before they make a linux client though, Mac os is closer to linux than windows is after all.

Well maybe I did word my statements wrong, of course mac has it's problems but I wouldn't really base my opinion off of a school computer too much, I mean all the computers I ever worked on at my school, those did have trouble running simple stuff like microsoft word, I've had less powerful computers of my own though that didn't have this trouble. I still think that a lot of people out there hate macs just because it's a popular thing to do though. I suppose I could be wrong though, in high school I had a friend that loved mac computers and had never even tried them and then he tried using the iMac in our computer class and after about 10 minutes he went to hating mac, I personally thought it was fun though, something new to work with and to me it felt a lot different from windows or linux and I kind of liked that.

It might not be long before they make a linux client though, Mac os is closer to linux than windows is after all.
Mac OS X is Unix based, which Linux is a free alternative to (obviously with a few changes). This could very well mean Linux clients soon too...