Custom Loop flow vs performance

Well as some of you know I've been a member here for ten years and randomly come back here and there so I've been out of the loop per say for quite some time i need some insight on a custom water box I'm building for my soon to be coming new rig.

My question is I'm putting together a water box and plumbing it into my rig (will make a build log shortly for both case and water box)any who I'm using a monster rad setup i custom sought the parts so the rads have massive cores im not worried on that side of things what ill be cooling is a set of 4 r9 290's and a cpu(either 5930K on a x99 setup) or (4790k devils canyon with some direct die loving for temps) I'm aiming for 5+ghz rock solid daily use and i have no doubt i can achieve this with either as long as i can keep them cool. My question is this whats a best way to achiever optimal flow vs performance I'm using a 400gph(1500lph) pump snd only want to run preferably but i keep hearing the same thing that the full cover r9 blocks from EKWB generate MASSIVE pressure drop especially threw 4 of them. is my 1500lph home depot pump going to push enough flow to compensate for the quad full cover blocks or should i  do a dual loop? If I do a dual loop though will such high floe decrease the restriction on the cpu block so much that it cant properly pull the heat from the water block.

Insight would be awesome 

This thread is not to change my mind on my components its just to see if one pump is gonna cut the mustard from all the restrictions,PS: both the cpu and vga with be separate from each other /(y inlet y outlet one loop) 

I've run single and dual loops before, with a bunch of different variations. A 3930K at 4.9GHz and four R9 290X's. Things will get warm no matter which way you run a single loop (like through a radiator after the CPU, then 2 GPU's, then another 2 GPU's). However, not warm enough where it gets hotter than 65C for each GPU, I believe. Also not hot enough to shut the CPU down (gets close to 85C at times).

Add a 2nd loop, one dedicated to the CPU, the other to the GPU's, you'll see a little better results, but if you're in the safe zone with a single loop, you're only putting your mind at ease with slightly lower temps with two separate loops.

Edited by El_Capitan

Thanks for the info, by chance does anyone know where i can find s spread sheet that has flow vs temp on it? there's always gonna be a sweet spot for this kind of thing where the water flows at just the right lph in which the water stays in the blocks for just the right amount of time to pullthe heat out of them before going to the rad and be around the right speed there as well to give the fins time to release the hot air from the core..

Very Cool.

Same old same old..... just plugging away doing stuff behind the scenes lol

Hows things with you?

Pretty good just had to FINALLY get my wisdom teeth out so my face feels like it got Ray Riced but all in all i cant complain its great to see this place still trucking though Dave(hope i remembered that right) I'm truly glad you stuck to it god knows many of the old forums didn't last.

This is great info on radiators! I actually found a pretty sweet flow graph for the EKWB full cover blocks i wish to use on XS and with my calculations it should be fine with one pump, however with that being said should be fine is not worth saving the extra 40 bucks on a pump since the setup is an external setup and the rads are monsters the load will surely drop my lph to a decent amount so ill run a single return into the rads with dual outs one for cpu and one for gpus. Thanks for the help guys.

with mutliple blocks a good trick can be to split the line into 'parallel' lines versus plumbing the blocks in series. With them plumbed series one into another they get hotter block to block and lose pressure, parallel they all get the same temperature and pressure relatively - assuming the blocks are comparable flow-wise.

The only downside is splitting into multiple lines cuts velocity down but at least its more balanced. Either way if the blocks aren't all similar in flow rate - path of least resistance will get the most flow. You can compensate with smaller tubing and/or using orifices to reduce flow and force more coolant through the other blocks if necessary.