help with DIY headphones

Tjj226_Angel

So I have spent all day working on building a set of headphones. I have a couple of audio technica 900x drivers, some cable and sleeveing that I have already soldered and sleeved, and a bunch on concentric circles to make the cups. 

Here comes my issue. So far every headphones I have owned have all be open. Therefore I only know the basic design concept of open headphones. I am trying to build closed headphones. 

The biggest problem I have is not knowing how to suspend/fit/attach/or otherwise the drivers to the baffles. In my AKG Q701s there is a plastic skeleton frame and then what looks to be like nylon in between the plastic, but I doubt that is what I should do for closed headphones. 

If someone has an idea, or would like to send me pics of their closed headphones (specifically the design), I would greatly appreciate it.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't edit. Why did this site change it's layout exactly? Everything was working just fine before. 

....anyways. I ended up making a headphone baffle out of CDs and hot glue, so I no longer need this thread. Admins, you are more than welcome to delete this thread and save server space : )

I still can't edit. Why did this site change it's layout exactly? Everything was working just fine before.

....anyways. I ended up making a headphone baffle out of CDs and hot glue, so I no longer need this thread. Admins, you are more than welcome to delete this thread and save server space : )

I can't help with headphones but I found a ghetto workaround for editing.

If you middleclick the edit button (or right click and open in new tab/window) than it works but there still is a great many things that still aren't working that I haven't found a bandaid solution for. (links/images/emoticons/can't post on phone in desktop mode anymore...and the list goes on and on)

As to why the layout changed...I believe the server/database was hacked so they had to switch over to this (unfortunately, because I also VERY much dislike the change so far)

I have no knowledge of headphones.

Building speaker cabinets,, the woofer uses the internal area to "stiffen" the driver, The "sound is usually "damped by acoustic absorbing material to prevent distortion. Whether this applies to headphones I do not know.

I would use a soft backing (possibly carpet underlay?pillow foam?) and see if it makes a difference.

I can't help with headphones but I found a ghetto workaround for editing.

If you middleclick the edit button (or right click and open in new tab/window) than it works but there still is a great many things that still aren't working that I haven't found a bandaid solution for. (links/images/emoticons/can't post on phone in desktop mode anymore...and the list goes on and on)

As to why the layout changed...I believe the server/database was hacked so they had to switch over to this (unfortunately, because I also VERY much dislike the change so far)

Yay, it works, now if I can get the emotes to work we will be in business  

PICS! :)

I am trying to make a sort of guide, so I do have some pics, but they are not completely done just yet because I am working on dampening the cups now. 

So in essence I started this project with some basic supplies. Two drivers from the audio technica ath ad900x (which audio technica will sell to you if you call them up), some 16 gauge wire which was a MASSIVE mistake (get some cat 5 eathernet cable instead if you want to build something like this. 16 gauge is just WAYYYYY too thick). 

I soldered a positive and a negative wire to the driver, and twisted the two together so they were nice and neat. After which I sleeved it, and I think we all know how to sleeve wire here, so I won't go into any detail. I did find a 3.5 mm to 3.5mm audio cable lying around the house, so I cut one end off of the cable and attached it t the cable of the drive to test it. Thankfully it worked because I took a complete guess as to which side of the driver was positive and ground and I guessed on the 3.5mm cable as well for that matter. 

In the process of using the worlds worst soldering gun I burned myself on different spots on my hand. What I learned and would like to tell you is DON'T USE CRAPPY SOLDERING GUNS!!!!!!!!!! I bought myself a weller soldering kit for under 40 bucks. It came with a really powerful soldering gun that is trigger activated so it won't be hot unless you want it to be, and it came with various tips and solder, and for 35 bucks at lowes, there is NO reason for you to be using a POS 5 dollar soldering gun. 

For the cups, I got some quarter inch thick wood, and used a CD for a template. The idea is that I would use concentric circles to make the cup, so after making the initial circles with the CD, I would find a cup with a little bit smaller circle to make the inner circle. Then I would find a larger cup to make the outside circle of the next circle in the sequence....yadda yadda, I think you get the idea. 

To make the circles, I simply cut out a square with a saw, then cut the square into a octagon, then used a bench grinder to file the octagon into a circle. 

After you hot glue all the circles together, you get something that sort of looks like a round myan pyramid. 

From there, you take a dremel tool and just work out the edges until it becomes a dome shape.

The baffles were easy. Just take two CDs. Put a bunch of hot glue in between. Level it all out. Stick the other cd on and viola, you have a baffle. From there take a dremel tool or a door handle cutting drill bit and drill out a hole in the center for your driver. You also might have to cut into the baffle a little to accommodate your headphone wire. From there I also put a little circle of hot glue on the parts where the plastic of the driver meets the CD to secure it. 

Once I did these steps for both right and left channels, I went to radio shack and picked me up a 6.3mm audio plug for like 4 bucks. I don't have pictures of me attaching this to the headphones because my soldering here SUCKED. Simply google how to attach a audio plug to your headphone cable and you will get the idea pretty quickly.

I also made a frame out of a coat hanger. I am not done with the headband, but I am trying to draw inspiration from stax. Give me a couple of days on that. 

I also put cork on both sides of the baffle. This prevents back wave resonance among other things. 

The big issue I am contending with right now is still back wave resonance. I have some dampening material I am play around with, but no luck so far. 

post-79238-0-55799200-1357628329_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-96179400-1357628351_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-83869500-1357628381_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-62184400-1357628397_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-68802700-1357628417_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-09062800-1357628440_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-57437300-1357628456_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-71387400-1357628469_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-19735500-1357628484_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-45585400-1357628499_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-12335400-1357628528_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-03004100-1357628535_thumb.jpg

post-79238-0-55468800-1357628546_thumb.jpg

How do you even possibly manage to do damage like that to your hand?

I have only ever once burnt myself (heat transferred along solder doesn't count) with a soldering iron and that was with my portable Weller gas one. Working in a car I rested it in my lap as I spliced some wires and well it slipped. Burnt through my shorts and got the inner thigh.

I have only ever once burnt myself (heat transferred along solder doesn't count) with a soldering iron and that was with my portable Weller gas one. Working in a car I rested it in my lap as I spliced some wires and well it slipped. Burnt through my shorts and got the inner thigh.

I was plugging the hot glue gun into the electrical socket beneath the gun, and I brushed the cord of the soldering gun in such a way where it pulled it off the table onto my hand. 

In honor of this thread, I vote we have a "ghetto mods" thread, just like our local forum eh?

@ Tjj, wonder how they sound? looks like a very strange project to me