Best sporty car at or under $10,000

IVIYTH0S

Its pretty easy considering I take it up to 9k rpm on all stock parts besides the cam. Of course its nowhere near as fast as an STI or evo, all I said was that it's a sturdy car.

I'm confused. Does your tach work now? Last I remember you were going based on sound and powerband only...and the vids you posted don't get anywhere near 9K.

The shop I went to a couple months ago has a nice timing light that tells rpm. Also, the cam I have I'm the car has a powerband that goes up to 8500 rpm.

In most of the vids, my carb is tuned lean for gas mileage. I get 2-4 more mpg depending on how I drive it. On the downside, when I get around 5500-6000 rpm it starts misfiring from being so lean and hits a wall. I tune it rich when I want to go mess around but I've been driving it with a leaner mixture since I've been commuting a lot lately.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's a couple wild CARds into the mix:
2005 Nissan 350Z $11K (shouldn't have trouble bringing him down to $10K)

2005 Mazda MazdaSpeed Miata $10K

And the other current contenders

2005 WRX Wagon for $10.45K

2008 Mazda MazdaSpeed3 Sport - $10.5K

Its pretty easy considering I take it up to 9k rpm on all stock parts besides the cam. Of course its nowhere near as fast as an STI or evo, all I said was that it's a sturdy car.

I'm confused. Does your tach work now? Last I remember you were going based on sound and powerband only...and the vids you posted don't get anywhere near 9K.

The shop I went to a couple months ago has a nice timing light that tells rpm. Also, the cam I have I'm the car has a powerband that goes up to 8500 rpm.

In most of the vids, my carb is tuned lean for gas mileage. I get 2-4 more mpg depending on how I drive it. On the downside, when I get around 5500-6000 rpm it starts misfiring from being so lean and hits a wall. I tune it rich when I want to go mess around but I've been driving it with a leaner mixture since I've been commuting a lot lately.

Carburetor woes :lol:

Get a Saturn, and have all the fun with just some sport springs (and sway bushings ;) ). Low-mid thirties MPG easy with no "tuning" :P

Edited by IVIYTH0S

at a mere 150whp its hard to break things we are talking cars with almost/above 300 from the factory and almost matching torque im sorry but the 280z is a great car but no where near the class of an evo/sti/speed 3 or even a miata at that... i mean no rudeness by that tho

Valves would float springs would die period no ifs ands or buts put a tach on there and show us you running threw all the gears multiple times to 9k and ill believe it not a bogus ass timing light that was probably set for a v8..

Also i could go into the piss poor suspension design of the 280z as well if you'd like... it was a great car of its time holds a warm spot in my heart but the point is a 280z with 300hp on stock everything else would break constantly.

Say it to the people with L28ET swaps pushing over 350 whp on stock suspension. 

Sure go on HybridZ.org sign up ive been a member there for almost as long as i have here and show me one z with 350whp on stock suspension and it handling just fine, Once you do i will literally shit a diamond thats worth a million dollars and give it to you. I've owned two speed shops and have been in the performance industry for 13 years for classic and current imports I'm by far not expert but i do have knowledge 

EDIT: I'm not trying to shit on everything you say but if you're going to preach the word, then read the freaking bible first

Edited by confuzzedintelguy

Dude that 350z and Mazda3 seems pretty nice... You should take a shot at either one.

Dude that 350z and Mazda3 seems pretty nice... You should take a shot at either one.

RWD NA vs FWD F/I :lol:

The 3 seems more practical, with the 4DR and hatchback. (my dad keeps telling me to get the 3)

Edited by IVIYTH0S