GeForce GTS 250 1GB Videocard by BFG Evaluated

Nemo

I wonder how much longer it's gonna be before nvidia comes out with a NEW mid-end gpu and cuts all this rebranding nonsense. It's starting to get on my nerves. Surely they have the money, don't they hold market majority?

In todays economy I'm not sure that its warranted with the stratification that there currently is. I mean if you sit back and look at the available cards along with the price points I think there is something out there for just about everyone and every performance level.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how much longer it's gonna be before nvidia comes out with a NEW mid-end gpu and cuts all this rebranding nonsense. It's starting to get on my nerves. Surely they have the money, don't they hold market majority?

Why waste good high-end GPUs on neutered mid-range cards? The g92b is a great profit-maker for them so they might as well milk it.

I mean, I don't like it but it makes good business sense. Not many people know the difference.

Joe six pack down at the local big box doesn't! And really is just basing the purchase decision on the sales rep they are speaking to. I see it every time i go in these places.

Sales rep=Money stealer. They just tell you "This is the best [iTEM] that you can buy, and its only [$AMOUNT$]. They would probably tell you to buy a GTX280 if you just want to surf the internet <_<

Sales rep=Money stealer. They just tell you "This is the best [iTEM] that you can buy, and its only [$AMOUNT$]. They would probably tell you to buy a GTX280 if you just want to surf the internet <_<

haha you'll need that extra ram on the 280 to run the nvidia badaboom web browser. :lol:

• 9 months later...

I know most of you are really pissed with the re branding by Nvidia. However there is a very good defense in Nvidia's court. The venerable G92 chip (250 GTS inclusive) is a proven contender that still can deliver in the budget segment. Also they have now streamlined the naming conventions in the 200 series to more reflect performance. Yes, the 9800 series was misleading. Logic would state from a business perspective it is better to present an existing product in a new light i.e 250 GTS than spend more money developing a new product the fit the market segment for which an existing product exists. This argument is more valid given that the core features of the G92 such as DX 10 and SM 4.0 are the same as in the 200 series. Now its another matter altogether that AMD has been outpacing Nvidia lately. I was simply blown away by the specs of the ATI 5870 & 5850. Nvidia has got a lot catching up to do here, given these new ATI chips offer DX 11.

Edited by maxpain12