CPU Overvoltage and Surge Protection error with un-overclocked system.

Ouch, I wish I'd known that before. I have tried everything suggested in this thread. I have a friend who should have a few spare 1155 boards. Could my CPU damage his board if there is something wrong with it?

Also, I'm using the stock cooler and thermal paste. What do I have to do about that when I put the CPU in the new motherboard?

I have tried every suggestion in this thread.

Edited by theaterinterior

There isn't much chance that a dead cpu will damage your buddy's board.  I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the cpu and cooler, you'll need to remove the stock cooler and clean off the old thermal paste from the base of the cooler and from the cpu IHS.  You can use 90% pure or higher isopropyl alcohol or lighter fluid.  Then you will need to re-apply new thermal paste before you re-install the cooler.  Don't use too much thermal paste during re-assembly.  Too much can be worse than not enough.  Everyone has their own "favorite" method of applying the thermal paste, but to keep it simple just put a small BB size drop right in the middle of the IHS and then install the cooler.