Refurbished HDDs; What's your stance?

d3athsd00r

Then following that logic, with more people complaining as of late, the products must indeed be getting shoddier :) I win the internet :P

More people reviewing means more reviews. Failure rates have not risen in recent years.

TONS of people bought them then "a lot" of people complained that they died and were crap. I have two of them and they work perfectly and have never given me trouble (on my Agility 3 right now).

...so what you're saying then, is that the common mythos is; refurbs are bad especially when a particular product has gotten some bad press from a group of dissatisfied users ? ....and it seems as though the definition of what constitutes a "refurb" is still debatable depending on a particular companies standards...

right now i'm looking right at an unopened 256g ocz vector while operating off of a pair of raided 128g vertex 4's and feeling afraid...should i sell my ocz stocks ?

meanwhile, the refurb'd cav black just keeps plugging away...maybe buy a few shares of wd ?...

I'm confused, is the common mythos me or the average joe lol

Not sure if serious post or not :lol:

Then following that logic, with more people complaining as of late, the products must indeed be getting shoddier :) I win the internet :P

Or... people are just buying more of them because of the amazing prices of entry level SSDs (as an example) and therefore more dies are being thrown.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

The amount of people complaining may be going up but the proportion of people is not going up(probably) its just more people are buying hdds so the number of failures will go up proportionally.

Well my buddy Quack bought a 1TB green drive and it kept freezing up his computer trying to save power. He had a hard time disabling all the bs.

and off that you tell people not to buy them?

heh

LOL.

You're pulling shit out of your own ass to make your argument more legitimate but let me tell, ANYONE with any sort of economic background will know that you're as clueless as the scarecrow posted above (if not more) The basis of your claim seems to be:

• economic downturn > rising unemployment > decreasing disposable income by the avg household > LESS HDD SALES 

/// Before I waste my time replying to the rest of your post: I DID NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT SALES.

Your original post was, more HDDs are failing, they're lower quality blah blah and you have no proof to back that up, so go home and do your research you pleb.

Do you too have to turn every debate into a mud slinging match. Just leave it right now.

We can debate minus the personal remarks and derogatory comments. If you have a legit argument it can stand on its own, it will not require flaming to support it. If your argument requires this type of backing up its not an argument worth arguing.

TONS of people bought them then "a lot" of people complained that they died and were crap. I have two of them and they work perfectly and have never given me trouble (on my Agility 3 right now).

...so what you're saying then, is that the common mythos is; refurbs are bad especially when a particular product has gotten some bad press from a group of dissatisfied users ? ....and it seems as though the definition of what constitutes a "refurb" is still debatable depending on a particular companies standards...

right now i'm looking right at an unopened 256g ocz vector while operating off of a pair of raided 128g vertex 4's and feeling afraid...should i sell my ocz stocks ?

meanwhile, the refurb'd cav black just keeps plugging away...maybe buy a few shares of wd ?...

I'm confused, is the common mythos me or the average joe lol

Not sure if serious post or not :lol:

Or... people are just buying more of them because of the amazing prices of entry level SSDs (as an example) and therefore more dies are being thrown.
nah...not serious ivi...jk around...but seriously, should I sell my ocz ? with all the bad press and all there's bound to be a backslide even if the newest ssd's are righteous...

Newegg is having a decent sale on the refurbished WD20EZRX 2TB green drive ($70 instead of $110):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236427

and I wanted to know how some of you felt about getting refurb over new?

I'm planning to get 2, so I would be saving $60. It has the option for a 1 year extended warranty at $7 each which would still have me saving $46 should I choose to get the warranty (90 days otherwise)

If your drive space in not an issue I got a Refurb OCZ Vertex 2 for 65.00 @ Newegg and they have sata 3 also. I have benchmark it and tested it with linux and Windows 7 no problems. The smart data was clean! Fast enough for what I have in sig.

Windows 7 Ultimate

i7 930 2.8 GHZ (D0) @ 3.8 GHZ

XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB

Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200

PNY gtx 460 enthusiast edition

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W

Monitor ASUS VH236H 23"

Do you too have to turn every debate into a mud slinging match. Just leave it right now.

We can debate minus the personal remarks and derogatory comments. If you have a legit argument it can stand on its own, it will not require flaming to support it. If your argument requires this type of backing up its not an argument worth arguing.

Bad habit.

• 1 month later...

Refurb HDD's are like a box of chocolate...some peoples experiences are horrific, most are OK. I've used them to help people cut repair/replace costs. You do not know what the original failure was, I would assume what isn't bad doesn't get replaced, so it was either the PCB or the Mechanicals. My experience is they are mostly reliable, some have a pitch or whine variation, letting you know it is not brand new. If you take in consideration the time and/or expense of reinstalling software, all the settings, preferences,...etc. Can you justify the risk? It seems most people have no full ghost image of their HDD to make things easy, without that you are inviting a catastrophic HDD failure replacement, and its escalated costs.

As long as the refurbished HDD has no issues passing the "Smart" monitoring tests, or better yet a third party software analyzer program, you should be alright. The prices of mechanical HDD's are dropping fast, I only use refurbs if a person demands it, and then I back off on my service warranty on that drive.