Oppo makes phones now?

Andrewr05

This is the first time I've heard of Oppo. Are they pretty big in the states or am I just a caveman?

They make REALLY high quality DVD and Bluray players, well now that I look they only sell Bluray as they of course play DVDs too.

Oppo Digital

They start at $500 and $1,200....

This is the first time I've heard of Oppo. Are they pretty big in the states or am I just a caveman?

They make REALLY high quality DVD and Bluray players, well now that I look they only sell Bluray as they of course play DVDs too.

Oppo Digital

They start at $500 and $1,200....

lol best website ever:

*click product product tab* HERE IS OUR PRODUCTS...

*click home button*....HERE IS OUR PRODUCTS.

:lol:

Can't say I'd EVER spend that much on on just a player, even with whatever crap they try and market it with

Before we get too far I just want to point out that there are multiple Oppo's out there. Oppo Digital is an American company that makes disc players but they are a division of a larger Oppo company based in China. It is the larger company or another daughter company making the phone.

Ivi, don't knock their stuff. I've got a BDP-83 from them and it is a great player of DVDs, SACDs (because I do have some), and Blu-Rays. Despite being three and a half years old it is still the best player in my family. Oppo Digital is also pretty nice to their customers too: My BDP-83 came with a professional video calibration and benchmark disc designed for Blu-Ray and, at the time, it was $35 to purchase separately. Of course I already spent $500 on the player so that may not seem like a big deal, but it does set the tone of what they sell you; professional grade hardware and, at least then, they also gave you what you needed to make it the best. About a month or two later I then got a small package from them. I had no idea why I was getting anything from them because everything was operating fine and I hadn't contacted them. They had sent me and other customers a second calibration disk, this time for audio.

Also, Ivi, that $500 price is not that high compared to what another company was selling :lol:  I can't remember which company it was now but another company started selling their own, THX-Certified Blu-Ray player. Well, some enterprising reviewers and journalists took a closer look at it and found it was exactly identical to the BDP-83. Seriously, even some of the wire placement was the same. That company was charging $3,500 though, even though hardware wise it was identical to the BDP-83. (This was actually used as an example for why THX-Certified doesn't necessarily mean anything besides who spent the money to get something certified.)

Now, I will grant you that most people don't need a $500 disc player. I do need it though to play my SACDs at the higher quality (they also have a CD layer that any CD player can work with) and for some video and audiophiles, $500 would be cheap. I guess one way to put it is that the typical Blu-Ray player is like a GTx20, HDx350, or even integrated graphics, but what Oppo Digital and other, similar companies sell are like the GTx60 or HDx850 and up. Most people don't need to spend the extra money, but then there are some of us who can appreciate what that extra money gets us.

Idk, I guess when i get my own place I'll see about dedicated blu-ray (or whatever they have out then) players they have, I just don't see myself spending that for just a player.

As long as it has the audio/video outs I need, I doubt I'd notice all the other fancy features. (likely I'd just have an HTPC with an external caddied bluray laptop drive)

Oppo makes the best players on the planet. even the low end model is better than any off the shelf model like LG, Samsung , etc. The 3 big things Oppo has in its players is top video decoder ( though its not gonna be seen with a cheap tv).  second is decrete audio so you don't need to have a good AVR , this decodes and can send out analog direct to your speakers (high end speakers have its own power). Third, is you can mod it for region free play and it already plays every disc format known to man.

On subject if Oppo is making phones you can believe it will have the best audio and video ever seen on a phone, downside its going to cost like a $1000

On subject if Oppo is making phones you can believe it will have the best audio and video ever seen on a phone, downside its going to cost like a $1000

Ummmm.... definitely not true, they have been making phones for a while right now and they are nothing fantastic and haven't had earth shattering prices attached to them either.

And the Find 5 which will be a flagship phone is running virtually on par specs with the Xperia Z using the same chipset with the same expandabilty connectivity etc and it even sports a Sony Exmor RS 13.1MP snapper yet has somehow in teaser shots ended up with a worse camera app than Sony haha. Sony has killed the performance of its sensors by over compression which is so depressing because a year or two after its in the Sony flagship it ends up in the iPhone and is then properly coded and not over compressed and performs much closer to it real potential.

Back to Oppo tho, there is nothing super fantastic about the hardware slightly less MP front camera, no dedi camera button, slightly larger body than the z but same 5 inch 1080p screen, a decent bit heavier than the z with very similar styling, same os, and similar expected release day. And if it doesn't retail at the sub $800 mark and at least much closer to $700 than $800, then it'll be overpriced compared to its direct competition.

At the current point the DAC is unknown and it will ship with Dirac HD Sound which is just some sound correction software that is optimized for the stock headphones.