Archery Thread

El_Capitan

Is anyone here into archery?

I used to make my own bows and arrows back in High School, and I was a pretty good shot with my homemade bows at 20 yards, and a mediocre shot at 40 yards (my bows just didn't have enough pull to shoot at ranges longer than that). However, I think I'm going to go back into archery, but buying a 50" to 58" recurve bow instead of making my own. A compound bow wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, but I prefer the old school bows without sights and a quick draw and release, and I'd like to go for a range of 100 yards (which might be a stretch with recurve bows).

Any suggestions?

Btw, anyone read "The Grail Quest" series by Bernard Cornwell? It's a fun read. I read it a while back and made me want to get back into archery.

I bow hunt does that count? :)

What bow (and arrows) do you use, and what do you hunt? :)

Very old Bear compound. I am actually in the market for a new one if anyone has any suggestions. :) ....I hunts lots of things but only deer with a bow.

Yep, I'm into archery.  Not competitive shooting, but 3D, practice and bow hunting.  I've never shot a recurve or other primitive type, but have been hunting with compounds (maybe longer than some of the youngsters here have been alive  :))

What are some good reliable compound bows? The limit in the state of Massachusetts for hunting with bows is it must have a draw weight of at least 40 lbs. at 28 inches or at peak draw, but those restrictions are easily met.

Love archery, though I injured my shoulder when I was young (think I actually broke some stuff in my rotator cuff) never went to the doctor and it obviously didn't heal right so now I have problems and it's been preventing me from shooting lately. It's quite depressing, I really need to see a doctor but I know it will take reconstructive surgery and doubt insurance is going to cover squat, so likely I unfortunately will always have a bad shoulder, and probably won't be able to shoot bows much longer.

But archery is my #1 passion in life until then.

Doing some bow fishing on vacation last month.

IMG_20140622_191909341.jpg

Got some trout and salmon, only got pictures of this one little small mouth lol, I thought it was a chub or I would never have shot it.

IMG_20140622_185256417.jpg

Mile 4 of what ended up being a 7 mile stalk in negative degree temperatures on a Coyote. Was worth the kill in the end, this particular Yote had killed 4 calfs on one farm alone.

20140208_073611.jpg

This one is kind of funny, came home on a lunch break from work, dozen jakes standing in my brothers front yard. Jumped out of the truck and shot one out of the air as they were flying away. (this was with my old bow, my 1971 kodiak magnum)

IMG_5032.JPG

This is a picture of my current bow, I had it custom made by a bowyer from PA.

20140125_154312.jpg

I have always had good luck with Bear and PSE bows. Bowtech and Hoyt also make excellent bows if money is of no concern.

Thanks, that's good to know!

This is a picture of my current bow, I had it custom made by a bowyer from PA.

20140125_154312.jpg

That's a beautiful bow!

For your shoulder issues, try a mix of massage therapy and acupuncture. It's not as expensive as surgery (but still expensive), but it's always solved my issues (shoulder, elbow, and ankle problems in the past).