Any easy way to reduce Wi-fi connection speed?

uneedav8

I need to reduce the wireless connection speed on my network. I don't want all the wireless devices using all the bandwidth (streaming videos,etc). I do need them to have a connection but I want to keep most of the speed to the wired computers. Is there any easy way to accomplish this? Thanks

I need to reduce the wireless connection speed on my network. I don't want all the wireless devices using all the bandwidth (streaming videos,etc). I do need them to have a connection but I want to keep most of the speed to the wired computers. Is there any easy way to accomplish this? Thanks

Any descent router will have QoS option and the interface and options will vary with manufacturer and model. See the documentation of the router and read about QoS, and then configure it.

• 3 weeks later...

what router are you using ?

Sonicwall TZ170

It will be helpful if you provide a router name that you are using.

^ While posting, you didn't bother to see the latest post. Have you?

Holy bejeebers..............  I just tried to decipher the QOS setup on that sucker (via the Adminstrator's guide) and it is way beyond me.  That is one complicated enterprise router.  I can't help but just wanted to pop in and say good luck.

what router are you using ?

Sonicwall TZ170

Is the sonicwall handling wireless or do you have a separate access point connected to it?

If the sonicwall is handling wireless then just dedicate a specific IP range/subnet for wireless clients and then create a firewall policy that limits the bandwidth for that range/subnet.

If you have a separate access point handling wireless then just create a firewall policy to limit bandwidth for whatever interface the access point is connected to.

Holy bejeebers..............  I just tried to decipher the QOS setup on that sucker (via the Adminstrator's guide) and it is way beyond me.  That is one complicated enterprise router.  I can't help but just wanted to pop in and say good luck.

A tz170 isn't even close to "enterprise" class. Just an older SOHO firewall.