Handbrake

dr_bowtie

I got a little issue going on here... I am trying to figure out what determines the encoding speed at which Handbrake Encode video... Normally I would say CPU but in my case that is Clearly not the case here...

I have been testing every rig in the hows and it seems the rigs with the better parts do worse than the rigs with the cheaper parts and it confuses me as to why....The reason I am doing this is I wanted the fastest rig to encode some home made movies and I wanted to utilize the best times...and just set a Queue and let it run till its finished...

here are the rigs I have tested so far with 3 more to do yet...

Wifes rig...

Biostar 785G

965BE running stock 3.4ghz

2x2 ddr3-1333

WD250gb HD

Palit 4830 video card

My rig

MSI 890GXM-G65

1075t @ 3.4ghz (OC'd to match the wifes rig)

2x4gb ddr3 1600

WD640gb HD

XFX 5830 video card

Rig #3

Asus M4A89GTDpro/USB3

980BE @ 3.7ghz Stock

2x4gb ddr3-1600

WD640gb HD

Palit Sonic 4830 video card

Rig #4

ECS P55H-A

i7-860 @ 3.0ghz

2x2gb ddr3-1600

WD640gb HD

Palit Sonic 4830

ok those are the 4 rigs I have tested so far with 2-3 more to go... I took a 5.2gb DVD video and put it into Handbrake to convert to MP4-H.264 at a 1.5gb size with 2-pass encoding using version 0.9.5 All rigs have a CLEAN install of Win7 with all updates....

of those rigs which would you think would be the fastest encoder?

well here is the break down so far.... best to worst..

1) Wife's rig....

1st pass 225fps

2nd pass 269fps

2) my rig....

1st pass 165fps

2nd pass 175fps

3) i7-860

1st pass 162fps

2nd pass DNC

4) Asus 890 board

1st pass 129fps

2nd pass DNC

weird how even the Asus board has a faster CPU but is miles slower than the wifes rig....either she's got a really good board or I got some slow performing set ups...

I have yet to test....

Another Asus 890GTDpro and 910e setup

Another Asus 780Nvidia Chipset and 940BE set up

Another Asus 785EVO and 720X3

Another Biostar 780G (CPU Unknown yet)

there are 4 more rigs i plan to test... but why does the underdog really shine here and the better parts really lug along? any idea...?

EDIT: tested the other rigs....

Rig #5

Asus M4A89GTDpro/USB3

910e Running stock

2x2 ddr3-1333

Maxtor 320gb HD

Gigabyte GTX460

Rig #6

Asus M3n-HT-Deluxe/SLI

940BE running stock

2x2gb ddr2 1066

Maxtor 320gb HD

Gigabyte GTX460

Rig # 7

Asus 785 EVO

720X3 BE running Stock

2x2gb ddr3-1333

WD250gb HD

Asus GTS450

Rig # 5

1st pass 90fps

Rig # 6

1st pass 105fps

Rig # 7

1st pass 75fps

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:whoa:...all those rigs...............

me want...:lol:

I have to be honest, thats all I was thinking about while reading the post! hahaha

Unfortunately I have zero experience with Handbrake, I am actually looking into it myself.

Try copying a local (hard drive) video file, not a DVD movie. My computer is lightyears past my girlfriend's, but my DVD burner is slower than hers (wasn't a priority, just needed one for windows install).. So ripping from DVD goes slower for me.

So point is basically, use a faster reading device, like a hard drive or an SSD. Leave the performance to the CPU/RAM, instead of the bottleneck on the DVD itself.

Wait all those rigs and no sandy bridge??

Also I agree with DDF try it again off a HDD ATM it appears you are being bottlenecked by DVD read speeds.

So unless that is exactly how your going to encode then try off HDD. Then at the end if you will burn to disc make sure you put your wifesd DVD burner in whichever computer is doing the work because ATM it appears she has the best drive.

Interesting.

Doc, try controlling your setups a bit more to troubleshoot further.

For instance, replace your wife's rig's memory with other types of memory. Re-test.

Replace your wife's rig (back to the original memory), along with other types of graphics cards. Re-test.

Also, try to use the same storage drive, optical drive, etc.

Maybe her graphics card is overclocked higher, and her memory timings are tighter, causing it to perform better?

Interesting.

For instance, replace your wife's rig's memory with other types of memory. Re-test.

Replace your wife's rig (back to the original memory), along with other types of graphics cards. Re-test.

Maybe her graphics card is overclocked higher, and her memory timings are tighter, causing it to perform better?

Its the logical kinda thing but the differences are huge which points to a definate bottleneck in some rigs.

Interesting.

Her rig is bone Stock.... NO overclock.... and the DVD video was a file on the hard drive... thats why i posted the HD used... all rigs have a Samsung Super Writemaster... and all of them can rip the file in 6 minutes except my rig which does 14 minutes... regardless of drive used I've swapped out several different brands...

All memory regardless of speed is running 9-9-9-24.... she has Mushkin Silverline ddr3-1333 and I have G-Skill RipJaws ddr3-1600... only those two kits were used in testing

I use handbrake a lot.

Some things could be effecting the results.

1) Check the running processes on your x6 machine in task manager to make sure there isn't anything running using CPU time, and then look at the performance tab to see if handbrake is maxing out all 6 cores (it should). I would try another CPU speed test across the systems to see if it is just handbrake or general performance.

2) Make sure all settings are absolutely the same. If you are running on the "high" profile on one encode, that will cripple the speed. Is the source interlaced? De-interlacing algorithms can be iffy at properly locating and de-interlacing frames. If you use the decomb option that it will try to find interlacing artifacts and correct them, but it doesn't always work right. If more frames are being de-interlaced on one encoding than that other, that could effect fps. I'm not sure if that is too likely though.

Handbrake 9.6 is out, but I would actually recommend using a program called Vidcoder. It uses handbrakes source code, and adds many new options, including a new GUI and it can use more audio codecs. I do all blu-ray rips with FLAC audio now :D

Bad HDD slowing things down? Check your event log for HDD errors.

nope those were tested... all good no errors.... I got a hunch its more to do with the "tightness" of the boards bios... if the boards is geared for overclocking the looser the BIOS is...thats wht I think the better boards are having a lower than normal score.... I plan to try and get a cheaper Biostar board to put the 1075t in and try it....and then swap in the other CPUs as well