Intel's Haswell May Be Last Interchangeable Desktop CPU?

dr_bowtie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"eliminate that mainstream DIY option altogether unless the user is handy with a soldering iron." I hate it when idiots write idiotic things. BGA = Ball Grid Array and you can't just easily re-solder chipsets that are BGA mounted. To do it right requires specialized equipment that starts at around 2K and can cost upwards of 20K depending on the size and throughput of the rework station.

At any rate - if Intel moves in this direction it may give AMD a door of opportunity for seizing the lions share of the enthusiast market (assuming that they don't move in the same direction).

I just want to understand what is the technical thing behind all this?

Power comsumption maybe? Less heat?

It is not good for consumers since if processor breaks you have to replace with the motherboard as well.

On the other hand it might be good because power consumption might be highly increased, perhaps less heat, more performance delivered and well in my experience never broken a processor. I have a 12 year old PC still running, other 7 year old, other 4, other 2..

It might be a little unconfortable for me. And would be a pain in the neck for overclockers and modders

The connection between the CPU and board would be better and Intel could change "sockets" every time they wanted to add a feature or cut costs.

It's a lose/lose for enthusiasts but it'd bring prices down across the board for most people.

"eliminate that mainstream DIY option altogether unless the user is handy with a soldering iron." I hate it when idiots write idiotic things. BGA = Ball Grid Array and you can't just easily re-solder chipsets that are BGA mounted. To do it right requires specialized equipment that starts at around 2K and can cost upwards of 20K depending on the size and throughput of the rework station.

At any rate - if Intel moves in this direction it may give AMD a door of opportunity for seizing the lions share of the enthusiast market (assuming that they don't move in the same direction).

that was pretty much my reply somewhere else....

nah we still have AMD... it will give them a leg up again. People want choices and thats right where this idea will fail.

My opinion of this rumor is that Intel is not going to be stupid enough to let this be true for everything. For the off-the-shelf computers, sure, but not the stuff we buy because, as others have stated, it would give AMD an advantage. More likely, if the additional connections are necessary, I think Intel would just increase the socket size to accommodate them. Also, I doubt many manufacturers would like this idea because it will limit their ability to customize designs, just as it would limit ours, but on a larger, and potentially more costly scale.