Eagle Consus Mobile Hdd Enclosure Tested

jammin

To be honest the hand-timed transfers seem a bit shoddy. That, and the comment about Mac/Linux support. It's a USB drive, of course it's supported. :P

Guest ajmatson

How do they seem shoddy? I just did a 500MB transfer with my 650GB WD drive using a BlacX and got 16.3 seconds so that seems dead on to me. ;)

Also just because it is USB doesn't always mean it is "Linux compatible" right out of the box. I can put five USB thumb drives in different distro's and then some will work with one and not with another. The average user does not know how to mount drives and re-write the FSTAB if needed especially on distro's using older kernels.

How do they seem shoddy? I just did a 500MB transfer with my 650GB WD drive using a BlacX and got 16.3 seconds so that seems dead on to me. ;)

Also just because it is USB doesn't always mean it is "Linux compatible" right out of the box. I can put five USB thumb drives in different distro's and then some will work with one and not with another. The average user does not know how to mount drives and re-write the FSTAB if needed especially on distro's using older kernels.

Its not exactly hard to google: "how to mount a usb drive in linux" either is it? I could probably have it working within a minute of connecting it.

Its not exactly hard to google: "how to mount a usb drive in linux" either is it? I could probably have it working within a minute of connecting it.

You're being spoiled with people one these forums. Most people will only google as a last resort <_<

Guest ajmatson

You can google anything but the average user would be confused when Windows makes everything just work. I guarantee my wife could not get it to work just by googleing it. We have the knowledge but not everyone does.

Guest ajmatson

What do you mean by more accurate? It only take a few seconds to transfer how much more accurate can you get? We hare at OCC round the numbers for graphs.

You're being spoiled with people one these forums. Most people will only google as a last resort <_<

Huh I always do the exact opposite. Google first and then post on forums as a last resort. I'd rather not post about something that has already been resolved elsewhere.

What do you mean by more accurate? It only take a few seconds to transfer how much more accurate can you get? We hare at OCC round the numbers for graphs.

What I mean is that why even bother with the test when it's too inaccurate to learn anything from?

Guest ajmatson
What I mean is that why even bother with the test when it's too inaccurate to learn anything from?

You learned it took 17 seconds to transfer a 500MB file using the USB 2.0 interface on the enclosure. How much more you want it to tell you. Speaking from experience some enclosures perform better than others which is why we use a timed file transfer measurement. So you are telling me if you have one computer that taken 30 seconds to boot into an OS and another one that takes 520 seconds that it does not matter as long as it boots? I don't know about you but I want the faster one. I don't understand your reasoning for saying it is an unnecessary benchmark.

Huh I always do the exact opposite. Google first and then post on forums as a last resort. I'd rather not post about something that has already been resolved elsewhere.

You're not most people...

this guy, however, is most people :lol: