Memory Failure: RAM or Controller

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try resetting the BIOS with a CMOS clear not just loading defaults and try it with a module in the socket furthest from the cpu. 

I have tried resetting the CMOS several times, will try the far socket.

Hey Speed.  Have you had the CPU out of the socket lately, or disassembled your PC for a cleaning?  New cpu cooler by chance?  

Essentially anything that may have caused the CPU to lose contact with the socket pins, or maybe even bend the socket pins?  Your symptoms are similar to what you might experience if the socket pins are damaged or bent.  If none of the above applies please disregard.

Since funds are tight, you might consider reaching out to the friendly community here and asking someone to check your motherboard and cpu with spare 1366 parts they may have sitting around.  I'd offer myself, except I've cleared out all my socket 1366 gear.  Sorry about that.

Cokeman, i tried the last socket and no dice, wouldn't even start to load windows, just went into a post loop. Thinking that must mean mobo.

Hey Speed.  Have you had the CPU out of the socket lately, or disassembled your PC for a cleaning?  New cpu cooler by chance?  

Essentially anything that may have caused the CPU to lose contact with the socket pins, or maybe even bend the socket pins?  Your symptoms are similar to what you might experience if the socket pins are damaged or bent.  If none of the above applies please disregard.

Since funds are tight, you might consider reaching out to the friendly community here and asking someone to check your motherboard and cpu with spare 1366 parts they may have sitting around.  I'd offer myself, except I've cleared out all my socket 1366 gear.  Sorry about that.

Thanks for the gesture wev i appreciate it. I haven't touched anything in the case period since April when i got the case. Last time i had the cooler off was about 2 years ago.. good idea though.

I may go that route, but at the moment i can ateast get on the internet and move files to online storage so i can access them elsewhere. (safe mode can't do most of the stuff i want to do, but it sure beats doing nothing)

What I find wierd is you can load in safe mode which points to corrupt drivers or os ??

But i can also only load my linux live cd in safe mode.

I am going to try a clean install this afternoon if i have time to shift all my important files.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

What I find wierd is you can load in safe mode which points to corrupt drivers or os ??

Maybe we are looking in the wrong place.  Trying to solve a problem based on the reported symptoms alone.

Thinking outside the box, maybe there is another piece of hardware connected that is failing during boot initialization?  Do you have any USB devices connected?  If so disconnect and retry.  Even if it's a USB keyboard or mouse, swap for PS/2 if possible for now.

Disconnect extra hard drives / optical drives that aren't needed to boot the machine.

Maybe the power supply is at fault?

Maybe we are looking in the wrong place.  Trying to solve a problem based on the reported symptoms alone.

Thinking outside the box, maybe there is another piece of hardware connected that is failing during boot initialization?  Do you have any USB devices connected?  If so disconnect and retry.  Even if it's a USB keyboard or mouse, swap for PS/2 if possible for now.

Disconnect extra hard drives / optical drives that aren't needed to boot the machine.

Maybe the power supply is at fault?

Good idea. 

As of right now i have cleared the USB Controller, PS/2 controller and ethernet controller. Gonna check the optical drive, next.

I've been cogitating, and something occurred to me. It consistently hangs just before the GUI loads, soo maybe the display driver is where it fails, and as it fails in linux too... maybe my primary gpu has finally died? I'm gonna try uninstalling the second card and the nVidia driver and see if that helps.