About The Famous Coolermaster Clip...

Bab

After having read various positive reviews on the new Coolermaster Xdream heatsink (HAC-V81), I've decided to buy it, mainly because of the "great" handy clip that requires no tool.

Well, after installing it with no problem, I found out that the clip actually sticks out so much of the motherboard frame (it is the Epox EP-8RDA+ based on the nForce 2 chipset) that I can't fit the motherboard anymore in my case :angry:

I looked at pictures of other nForce2 mothboards and they all seem to have the socket 462 at the top, just on the edge so I came to the conclusion that it is not the Epox that has a design problem but rather the heatsink.

Anybody has experienced the same problem with that heatsink, or others such as the Coolermaster HCC-001 or 002? Anyone has found a way around it?

I had a similar issue. However, I managed to get my motherboard back into the case.

I'm working on a review of the X-Dream right now, and you can reast assured that this information will be included.

;)

well i just replaced my coolermaster , for the TT VOLCANO7+,

its muuuuch better

only the noise when he's turning at 6000rpm, i was almost thinking my pc was going to fly , but i worked well on 3000rpm, and less noise

so , i'm going to hate coolermaster ;)

who makes a cpu cooler, which doesn't lets you mobo fit in afer installing??noobs. . .

hehe greetz

Coolermaster has been arround since '92, which is longer than Thermaltake ('99) and Swiftech ('94)... They aren't n00bs to the biz.

IMO, they make some good Budget coolers. The X-Dream only cost about $20.00. For $20.00 it's a good heatsink. I don't know why they chose to build the X-Dream they way they did, but if they had done one thing, it would have been great: Make the clip go on either way. If you could just change it arround, things would have been fine.

After posting my 1st message, I finally managed to fit my mobo in the case... I used pliers to completely bend the clip on itself (a bit like a hairpin) and was surprised to see that it was still easy to install the heatsink with no tools... I've sent Coolermaster an email to suggest that they remove that "huge" stupid unnecessary thumb clip.

(BTW, my PC is running fine now and does not seem to overheat)