Server2k3 - RDP/Terminal Services

Lackadaisical

Just takes some troubleshooting.

Windows Firewall for RDP is enabled, right?

Can you RDP into other machines from the server?

Share a folder on the server, can other machines on the network access the shared folder?

My workstation can RDP to any of my other machines on the domain (all are running on a wmware blade cluster). I can see any shared files from the server, and the server can also RDP to any of my other machines on the domain.

I might just end up doing the rollback over the weekend remotely. I certainly can't do it today. I also can't keep bringing the server down because I have a bigger project going on for Cisco that is demanding most of my time.

It does sound like a permissions/security/firewall type of issue since everything else works. The next things I would check is your Firewall and registry settings.

Have you tried doing:

Run -> mstsc /console

The firewall is on the way out of our lab network and is not the issue, every other machine works and if it was a firewall problem they would all be acting up as they are in the same physical location. As far as a windows firewall, the service is actually disabled on the machine in question.

Oh well, just thought I'd shoot that out there. I hope you get it working. I've always been able to figure things out, but your case seems to be a very oddball scenario. It'd be interesting to find out what the heck it is.

No information shows up in the event logs.

Ill go ask my boss if he's ever heard of this happening. Hes been working with server 2k3 alot longer than i have. Maybe he will have some insight. Hopefully ill have something useful to try later for you.

After i told him all the things that you've tried, he could only think of one thing to do. Check the security portion of the event log to see if the server is even getting the failed logon. If nothing is coming up in the security logs with failed logins due to you supposedly not having permissions. Then something else is wrong. If there are failed logon's then there id 100% of permission issue. However its possible that uninstalling TS from this DC has corrupted RDP, and you pretty much have no option except to roll back to your snap shot, or deal with not being able to remote into it.

Last thing i can think of beyond that is... How much longer will this project of yours continue?? You can use temporary TS CAL's for upto 180 days... So if you reinstall TS, are you are actually able to remote into the server again. Can you finish this project in 6 months? Also ontop of that, even after the Temp CAL's expire, you should still be able use the base line 2 admin CAL's. If RDP actually works with TS installed, id just install it again, and tell everyone to ignore the little message that pops up and says you dont have any licenses.

• Like 1

After i told him all the things that you've tried, he could only think of one thing to do. Check the security portion of the event log to see if the server is even getting the failed logon. If nothing is coming up in the security logs with failed logins due to you supposedly not having permissions. Then something else is wrong. If there are failed logon's then there id 100% of permission issue. However its possible that uninstalling TS from this DC has corrupted RDP, and you pretty much have no option except to roll back to your snap shot, or deal with not being able to remote into it.

Last thing i can think of beyond that is... How much longer will this project of yours continue?? You can use temporary TS CAL's for upto 180 days... So if you reinstall TS, are you are actually able to remote into the server again. Can you finish this project in 6 months? Also ontop of that, even after the Temp CAL's expire, you should still be able use the base line 2 admin CAL's. If RDP actually works with TS installed, id just install it again, and tell everyone to ignore the little message that pops up and says you dont have any licenses.

As someone who has been working with 2k3 since its birth I agree with this post. I think your boss is spot on about whether the failed logs are there or not.

Well this is interesting... So everytime i try to login with RDP using the correct credentials it creates a successful logon event. If I use the wrong credential I see a logon failure event. So even though I cannot actually get in through RDP, it does in fact count it as a successful login.

I have tried reinstalling the terminal server role, but that did not fix the current problem. With or without the role installed, I simply cannot RDP. Thankfully Vsphere console access is pretty decent..