Steam Greenlight Discussion Thread

ClayMeow

What were they thinking when they launched this project....

I think it had something to do with a developer who had his game Mutant Mudds published on the nintendo 3DS shop was rejected from steam for no apparent reason.

Renegade Kid president Jools Watcham recently had his critically acclaimed 3DS eShop title Mutant Mudds rejected from the Steam storefront. Why didn't they want the game? Reportedly, Jools was told that "Steam was not a good fit for distribution" and that was it. No request to fix specific bugs. No constructive criticism. Just a "No Thank You" and that's that.

I have a feeling the whole "Steam Greenlight" was an attempt to allow the community to give games the "greenlight" to avoid the same thing happening again. but unfortunately the idea wasn't fully thought out or beta tested.

i like clay's idea that pay per submission. a $50-100 refundable fee would definitely weed out any scammers. and wouldn't exactly break the bank of a small dev.

Also i'd like to see the whole thing get a large overhaul. i dont want to have to click through 23 pages clicking on every single item to see screens etc. if it had a way of reducing total number of clicks by showing fewer items per page but more details etc. also i've found clicking through the pages tends to be useless as the pages reshuffle games between loads.

The thing is, a lot of the games (read 99.99%) of them i'm indifferent to. i wouldn't buy them, but i dont care if they are or arent on steam. So i'm not going to upvote it and im not going to downvote it. i did down vote just about all those "construction simulator", "Towing simulator" "airline simulator" (they're all from the same dev) out of spite because its just damn excessive and stupid IMO. but aside from that im left with nearly 700 unrated games

Edited by bilcliff

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I'd say they didn't pour their heart into it, I just don't think they were prepared for what transpired. They wouldn't have implemented such a system if they didn't believe in it...it's not like the public was asking for it.

You really think they didn't want to just add one more "cool new steam feature"?? I mean if they really wanted this to take off, they would have put those genius brains to work with both implementing AND proper testing before letting the tsunami build. (maybe let 300 initial submissions for a month or two and see how the community likes the features or if there are any bugs/abuse/changes to report or request)

You really think they didn't want to just add one more "cool new steam feature"?? I mean if they really wanted this to take off, they would have put those genius brains to work with both implementing AND proper testing before letting the tsunami build. (maybe let 300 initial submissions for a month or two and see how the community likes the features or if there are any bugs/abuse/changes to report or request)

Don't you all think you're overreacting a bit? Seriously, a tsunami? You're comparing this to a tsunami. How exactly would you define proper testing? In my opinion, there's really no better way to test a feature that relies on the community to vote other than actually letting the community vote.

This pretty much is the beta/testing phase though, from the FAQ:

How many votes does a game need to get selected?

It's going to change during the first few days/weeks since we don't know what kind of traffic to expect. Part of the drive for this system is the need for customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam. So the specific number of votes doesn't matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight.

We're going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to always hit a specific number of votes.

I think some of you are under the impression that someone could make a game, insert a virus, upload it to Steam, create tons of fake accounts and get it passed. That is not how it works though, Valve is still going to be screening everything, Greenlight is just Valve's way of letting the community let them know what they want.

Don't you all think you're overreacting a bit? Seriously, a tsunami? You're comparing this to a tsunami. How exactly would you define proper testing? In my opinion, there's really no better way to test a feature that relies on the community to vote other than actually letting the community vote.

This pretty much is the beta/testing phase though, from the FAQ:

I think some of you are under the impression that someone could make a game, insert a virus, upload it to Steam, create tons of fake accounts and get it passed. That is not how it works though, Valve is still going to be screening everything, Greenlight is just Valve's way of letting the community let them know what they want.

I talking about the tsunami of destructive use in the system's inception and the poor level of proper testing displayed by Steam

personally I think its a neat idea....

the only thing I would change is the number of submissions. Currently there are just too many for me. I would cut it way back to maybe 5 pages and those would stand for a week and then the next round of pages. I just dont have the attention span to get through 5 pages and yet look at every game... more so I got bored

Although, I think the idea of it is good....

also make the ones playable on tablets available for tablets via the steam app....now there's an idea. Being I already use the Humble App for loading Humble games to my tablet

the only thing I would change is the number of submissions. Currently there are just too many for me. I would cut it way back to maybe 5 pages and those would stand for a week and then the next round of pages. I just dont have the attention span to get through 5 pages and yet look at every game... more so I got bored

also make the ones playable on tablets available for tablets via the steam app....now there's an idea. Being I already use the Humble App for loading Humble games to my tablet

:withstupid: That's about the same kind of "crawl before they walk" initial limitations I was thinking of too.

Yeah, I think opening up to open, public submissions right away was a bad approach. Even though that's ultimately the intent of the system, for testing purposes they should have been submitted and pre-approved to go up by actual indie developers who understood the rules and the purpose of the system (like the initial 30 to be on Greenlight). I mean they're doing beta testing for their stupid new Game Hubs, yet think they can just launch a brand new system like this for the public to go wild on? Could have at least had it where only Steam Community beta testers could access Greeenlight.

prolly not a bad idea Clay....

Beings they answered your email why dont you fire off an email with these ideas and feel them out....

honestly for me on the go and starting to use the tablet more and more I can see where games like these would be a welcome addition if that idea can be implemented....

prolly not a bad idea Clay....

Beings they answered your email why dont you fire off an email with these ideas and feel them out....

honestly for me on the go and starting to use the tablet more and more I can see where games like these would be a welcome addition if that idea can be implemented....

They didn't answer an email, I had used the "report" button on one of the game pages. My guess is it's a fully automated system, wherein if a game is removed, it sends out an email to everyone who reported it.