Java Program

flareback

So I'm working on a program and I'm not sure how I want to have it designed.

I have two classes a Person class and a Business class. I want to track those are donating to a cause. So a person can be a donor, but they may not be. And a Business can be a donor but they may not be. It would make sense for donor to extend Person and Business but you can't extend multiple classes.

So should I have Person and Business extend donor? But not all people are donors and I usually think of classes that extend as being an "is-a" relationship (Animal class and a Dog class that extends Animal, a Dog is an Animal but not all animals are dogs). So to me this doesn't seem to be ideal.

Any thoughts?

I don't have a clue about java but it seems to me you could do it this way:

Have a "entity" class(person and business) and as an extension of that have business, person, business-donor and person-donor. or just business and person and person and then extend those further. Not ideal but it could maybe work... as i say i am clueless on java.

Hope that sparks an idea.

I don't have a clue about java but it seems to me you could do it this way:

Have a "entity" class(person and business) and as an extension of that have business, person, business-donor and person-donor. or just business and person and person and then extend those further. Not ideal but it could maybe work... as i say i am clueless on java.

Hope that sparks an idea.

I thought about having a business-donor and a person-donor class but the donor parts are going to be very similar. Seems like I would be re-writing a lot of code. Plus if I changed anything I'd have to change it in both places.

It's been awhile since I did Java, but I think....

Have both People and Business extends Donor. Then use a flag variable to state whether or not they are a donor. Then just do whatever it is you need to do that is shared within the Donor class. Then everything that's different in People and Business.

• 4 weeks later...