Intel Core i7 4770K Reviewed

Bosco

the image of the cpu-z screen on the overclocking page isnt correct, it shows the backside of a motherboard ;)

so....when can we expect the i5 gen 4 processors? :P

Reading around the various reviews I have to say this chip is disappointing. The IGP in a chip at this price point makes little sense because people using it will put in discrete. Once you remove the IGP increase from the equation the performance boost is lack luster at best. I see little here to compel and Ivybridge or even a Sandybridge owner to jump into the new platform.

• Like 1

Reading around the various reviews I have to say this chip is disappointing. The IGP in a chip at this price point makes little sense because people using it will put in discrete. Once you remove the IGP increase from the equation the performance boost is lack luster at best. I see little here to compel and Ivybridge or even a Sandybridge owner to jump into the new platform.

Is it surprising to you that a 15% or so increase isn't worth it for SB or IB owners?

That'd be like being surprised when someone doesn't want to go from a 670 to a 680. :P

I still want one though. :lol:

At last!!

The 4770K looks really good in terms of everything!

A complete package and the iGPU being the added advantage.

I would wait for next reviews containing some 'real' motherboards like Maximus VI Extreme for a good look at it's overclocking capability.

And, very good review. :)

Is it surprising to you that a 15% or so increase isn't worth it for SB or IB owners?

That'd be like being surprised when someone doesn't want to go from a 670 to a 680. :P

I still want one though. :lol:

No I am surprised at the tech sites giving this chip an award like it accomplished something amazing.  I mean everyone is pretty much saying the same thing, disappointing performance not a big gain over the Ivy or for that matter even the Sandy but here is an award. How do you award anything to a chip that when compared to a chip two generations previous there is no compelling reason to upgrade?

No I am surprised at the tech sites giving this chip an award like it accomplished something amazing. I mean everyone is pretty much saying the same thing, disappointing performance not a big gain over the Ivy or for that matter even the Sandy but here is an award. How do you award anything to a chip that when compared to a chip two generations previous there is no compelling reason to upgrade?

It's only disappointing if you have unrealistic expectations.

Power efficiency is way up. 20% gain over SB in performance at similar clocks. Integrated VRMs with massively better sleep power. Massive jumps in IGP performance. Similar pricing despite all of this...and cheaper motherboards to boot.

What were you expecting? A huge step backwards like the direction AMD has gone (since you can go 2 generations back and get better performance)? :lol:

What were you expecting? A huge step backwards like the direction AMD has gone? :lol:

:snap:

Personally, and speaking from someone who upgrades every few years, Haswell is quite impressive. Power efficient, good speeds, better performance than other parts. I mean, all of those are things that'd get me to upgrade. Heat is an issue, sure, but it would be for pretty much anything at a massive clock speed. I don't think I'd have the coin to get the 4770K, but the 4570K (or whatever the Core i5 name will be) is most certainly going to be on the shortlist of CPUs.