Upcoiming IB build. Please critique!

tbris84

Patriot has been one of leaders in memory for quite some time.

Which is why I trust them in my phone and camera, micro sd and sd cards respectively. In my laptop another laptop and my htpc, alp running patriot purl se SSDs. Don't have any patriot ram atm but have in the past.

PC P&C I have never used them (US only) however more than a few members here will swear by their quality. I would buy them if I could but well I can't the 750 watt is still only $90 (an $80 saving on the corsair PSU you where looking at). Do not forget they are willing to honor 7 years of warranty on their product.

A 7 year warranty is pretty impressive, but it isn't modular. The only reason I was looking at the AX750 ($170) over the TX750 ($105) is because the AX is fully modular and 80+Gold. The AX750 with the combo discount and MIR ends up only costing $115. No brainer buy IMO.

I'll definitely consider the Patriot with the Corsair SSD. It's getting late so I'm going to resume this tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

[Edit] Looking over the Corsair PSU, it also has a 7 year warranty so it's a push in that regard.

Edited by tbris84

A 7 year warranty is pretty impressive, but it isn't modular. The only reason I was looking at the AX750 ($170) over the TX750 ($105) is because the AX is fully modular and 80+Gold. The AX750 with the combo discount and MIR ends up only costing $115. No brainer buy IMO.

I'll definitely consider the Patriot with the Corsair SSD. It's getting late so I'm going to resume this tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

[Edit] Looking over the Corsair PSU, it also has a 7 year warranty so it's a push in that regard.

I would pick patriot over corsair for the SSD (but that is me) and with a case like the 800D I aint sure why the lack of a modular PSU would be such an issue.

However for a very good modular PSU and the one in my main rig atm Silverstone strider plus, 80+ silver rating fully modular and it keeps standard atx PSU size not extended which is nice. It is $120 after MIR with shipping included.

However because it can't be bought in a combo with anything it bumps its price to equal with the ax750 if you consider them both with the 800D. So if you aren't interested in non modular PSUs then the ax750 combo with 800D is for you.

If at the end you want to consider custom water cooling of CPU and GPU let us know your final budget for those parts and we can help you again but for now looks like you have everything.

Just for the record, Seasonic is the OEM of some PCP&C products.

For the OP: Have you considered this instead? http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.873514

Corsair HX750 + 600T.

As much as I hate Corsair cases for their overpriced design (Saved for the Carbide series), the 600T is the best out of all of them IMO in terms of airflow (Although still overpriced).

And the HX750 is actually 80 Plus Gold certified.

Edited by vandreadstriker

I would pick patriot over corsair for the SSD (but that is me) and with a case like the 800D I aint sure why the lack of a modular PSU would be such an issue.

However for a very good modular PSU and the one in my main rig atm Silverstone strider plus, 80+ silver rating fully modular and it keeps standard atx PSU size not extended which is nice. It is $120 after MIR with shipping included.

However because it can't be bought in a combo with anything it bumps its price to equal with the ax750 if you consider them both with the 800D. So if you aren't interested in non modular PSUs then the ax750 combo with 800D is for you.

If at the end you want to consider custom water cooling of CPU and GPU let us know your final budget for those parts and we can help you again but for now looks like you have everything.

@Stonerboy

Yeah, combo's are hard to ignore. I stumbled across the Silverstone TJ11 case yesterday in a youtube watercooling video. I LOVE the way the motherboard tray is on the left side (if you're looking at the face of the case) as well as being rotated 90 degrees so the rear ports become top ports. If there are any simple looking cases like this with all black interior I may be switching case choices.

I would like my final tally to be no more than $1500 and with my current build I am around $1350. I could probably cut back on a few parts if I knew approximately how much to expect to spend on a decent single loop. I would probably stick with just cooling the CPU for starters.

@vandreadstriker

I didn't see that combo deal, but I have checked out the other Corsair cases. I do like the Carbide series, but I like the simplicity of the Obsidian series. All my cases upto this point have been fancier looking, I'm trying to change that trend and go with something squared off, black, and roomie. Know of any similar to the TJ11 as far as internal layout and compartmentalization? Would be much appreciated!

I'm using a Patriot SSD. So far the only problems I've had were the exact same ones EVERY sandforce drive had at launch ...which has since been fixed with a couple firmware updates.

If you want a really simple case - Fractal Design Design R3

No window and won't support WC (if you go that route) though.

Or the - SilverStone RAVEN RV02B

No combo deals though and quite a bit more expensive though cheaper than the 800D.

You don't need a Gold Plus certified PSU by the way. While they sound nice the amount you save on your electric is pennies compared to how much they cost over a Bronze/Silver certified PSU. It's like buying a Tesla Roadster to save money on gas. Ok maybe not quite that extreme, but you get the point.

Well with the increased price of the D14, the H80 only cost $8 more. I can't vouch for the H80 but I've used the H100 on a 2500K and when compared to the D14, I can only see 2-3oC drop. Now the H100 cost a full $20 more so I don't see why you'd want to spend $20 more for only 3oC difference? Unless you have RAM or clearance issues. Also the H100 is L-O-U-D at full speed! Nothing compared to the D14.

I created this video for another member on OCC. I switched one of the rad fans out with a Xigmatek fan, but you can see my temps and hear the volume level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC1r8MG-y_U

EDIT:

Most of the noise is from the crappy quality EVGA fans on my GTX 570.

Edited by Fogel

Do you always keep your case there Fogel? I keep mine somewhere far away from my sensitive ears. No wonder you can hear that 570. :rolleyes:

Until I find a table that I can both afford and will look good next to my desk. I might move it to the ground but the 600T looks too good to put under a desk. :lol:

I usually play music and listen to my headphones anyways. The H80 is loud on start up but during load it isn't too bad. The 570 is indeed a dB Monster and overshadows all.

Edited by Fogel

I really like the Patriot SE 120GB, kicks butt in the benchmarks. Put together a single loop CPU only water cooling kit and it was around $300, I think I'll stick to the H100 until I actually decide to overclock.

I really like the Patriot SE 120GB, kicks butt in the benchmarks. Put together a single loop CPU only water cooling kit and it was around $300, I think I'll stick to the H100 until I actually decide to overclock.

Then you can worship XSPC right along with me :biggrin:http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11743/ex-wat-159/XSPC_Rasa_750_RS240_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_Free_Kill_Coil.html?tl=g30c83s137

It has better cooling than the H100 without fans that sound like a F22 raptor. :lol:

Cooling: It isn't a fancy, custom fab water cooling system, but it is "water cooling" which is a change of pace from what I'm used to. The reason I am interested in the Hydro series is because it is as efficient as high end air solutions while being much neater in the case. I don't have to worry about tall memory modules not fitting. If I knew more about custom water cooling to trust myself with configuring a setup I would definitely give it a shot, but unfortunately I don't.

MB: I see how a microATX motherboard would get lost inside an 800D case, but keep in mind the case isn't a one time use thing. The reason I'm humoring the idea of buying a microATX board is because I have to mitigate the cost of a case and power supply this time around. The next build and hopefully the build after that will allow me to reuse my case and PSU. So I want to make sure I get these two parts right. After looking it over though, I will probably be going with an ATX Gigabyte motherboard anyway. Not as pretty as the Maximus, but it has all the features I need.

You know what's even neater than the Hydro series....the stock cooler :P

So you want to get a microATX board to save money, understandable...but why not save even more money get a get a mid-tower case?

Why the Agility3? The Agility3 uses asynchronous NAND so it's going to perform slower then Synchronous NAND. I suggest looking at the Vertex 3 instead.

He'll never see the difference in day to day apps.

I've never used any Patriot products in the past, is it better than the Force GT? Same goes for PCP&G PSU, I've been using Corsair and Seasonic for all my builds since the early 2000s so I'm sticking with one of them.

I have a 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 internal and 2x 3TB Seagate GoFlex USB3.0 externals, so I'm pretty set as far as storage is concerned. Just looking for a Windows boot drive with enough room to fit at least a half dozen games.

I can swear by my PC Power and Cooling PSU's but unfortunately it looks like he's only looking for a modular unit.

Edited by IVIYTH0S