The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

bp9801

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer 2 movies to one because I feel like most movies about books are too short and leave out tons of details. The Harry Potter movies are the best example, 1 and 2 were pretty good with a few parts missing, but after that it was just stupid how much was left out. The 7th is honestly the worst movie I have seen, if you didn't read the book I don't understand how you would understand what is going on.

Trailer looks great :cheers:

I prefer 2 movies to one because I feel like most movies about books are too short and leave out tons of details.
I think two 2 hour movies (with extended scenes released later) is better than a single 2.5 hour movie.

The Harry Potter movies are the best example, 1 and 2 were pretty good with a few parts missing, but after that it was just stupid how much was left out. The 7th is honestly the worst movie I have seen, if you didn't read the book I don't understand how you would understand what is going on.

Agreed 100%, the latter ones were a bit ridiculous.

I'm a little dissapointed it will be split into two films. It isn't a long book when you compare it to any of the LOTR trilogy and I'd of liked one epic film although I'm sure it'll be a blockbuster anyway.

ITs all about the money!

The Hobbit may be a shorter story in theory when compared to the LOTR trilogy, but there is a LOT going on in it. If Jackson were to condense it to 2-3 hours, there'd be so much left out. There's so much action in the Hobbit, but it also has a lot of character development that I hope comes across in the movie.

Without Hobbit/LOTR, would we even have Song of Ice and Fire? Tolkien arguably created the genre.

I agree while shorter there really is a lot going on!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Makes me wonder what the titles will be. "An Unexpected Journey" and "There and Back Again," I think were the names of sections in the book Bilbo was writing about his adventures, but I can't perfectly remember. I guess, "The Red Book" could work, because I think that is also a name for the book Bilbo was writing, but I'm not sure.

Makes me wonder what the titles will be. "An Unexpected Journey" and "There and Back Again," I think were the names of sections in the book Bilbo was writing about his adventures, but I can't perfectly remember. I guess, "The Red Book" could work, because I think that is also a name for the book Bilbo was writing, but I'm not sure.

"An Unexpected Journey" is not taken from the book at all, as far as I remember. The first chapter is "An Unexpected Party", so I believe that is where they came up with it.

"There and Back Again, A Hobbit's Holiday" is what Bilbo names his memoirs, and "There and Back Again" is what Tolkien included as an alternate name for The Hobbit.

I believe you're thinking of the "Red Book of Westmarch", which was a collection of all the tales, so not sure that would really fit for the title of the third movie.

Well, at least I remember one of the titles correctly (been too long since I read the book). The Red Book was just the only other possible title I could think of, but yes, it wouldn't quite fit since it covers the entire story. Of course, I have a feeling the actual written story of the Hobbit doesn't require three films on its own, but the stuff they are adding to make it 'more of a movie' is what's doing that.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough.

Well, at least I remember one of the titles correctly (been too long since I read the book). The Red Book was just the only other possible title I could think of, but yes, it wouldn't quite fit since it covers the entire story. Of course, I have a feeling the actual written story of the Hobbit doesn't require three films on its own, but the stuff they are adding to make it 'more of a movie' is what's doing that.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough.

Yeah, it'll probably depend on where they're cutting off the story to make the third one....maybe taking a chapter name or altering a chapter name like the first film. Who knows...still have 2+ years until we get to that point anyway. lol

Yeah, it'll probably depend on where they're cutting off the story to make the third one....maybe taking a chapter name or altering a chapter name like the first film. Who knows...still have 2+ years until we get to that point anyway. lol

When it was going to be two parts, I believe the idea was to have the first movie go up to the part where they get to the Lonely Mountain and the second movie detailing the fight with Smaug and the return home. Maybe it'll be broken up to just after Mirkwood, then the Lonely Mountain and Smaug, and then the return home?

Or even to where Bilbo gets the ring, then Mirkwood and the Lonely Mountain, and then Smaug and the return home.