Networking Assistance Running Concurrent Minecraft Servers

JBags

Hey OCC,

Due to unanimous request from my friend and his WoW buddies, I am now running a Feed The Beast server alongside my vanilla minecraft server on the same dedicated machine.

Everything works fine, I just desire a more "elegant" solution. Currently, players connect as follows:

Vanilla: mc.bagnet.tk

FTB:     mc.bagnet.tk:7175

It works, but I want to eliminate that port from the URL. I'd like to have it like:

Vanilla: mc.bagnet.tk

FTB:     ftb.bagnet.tk

I have the appropriate A records and CNAMEs set up with my domain.

If I set the URL to the server-ip parameter in the server.properties file, it fails to bind. I did this fine for the server's map website in IIS7, which is bound to www.bagnet.tk:80 (www.bagnet.tk will take you to the site in a web browser, but ftb.bagnet.tk wont). So I assumed it would be possible to do this with MC servers, too, with one bound to mc.bagnet.tk:25565, and the other ftb.bagnet.tk:25565.

So those of you with more networking experience than I, is my "end goal" possible to accomplish? I figure there's other ways to get this done, that I just don't know about...

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, that won't work.  The only way you'll be able to pull what you're looking to do off is if you have 2 different WAN IP's, or "Public IP's".

Reason being, both of those names are going to resolve to your WAN IP without regard to your port.  Your A record won't have the option to change what port it's going to resolve to.

Edit: This is all assuming you're behind a NATed router, which most people are.

Edited by Nephilumos

Actually this can be done with a single public IP using virtual hosts (there are other ways but this is normally the simplest for people to understand and implement). How do you think web hosting companies host hundreds of sites off same IP and server? :)

Without more info about your setup and network infrastructure it will be difficult to help you set this up though.

Actually this can be done with a single public IP using virtual hosts (there are other ways but this is normally the simplest for people to understand and implement). How do you think web hosting companies host hundreds of sites off same IP and server? :)

Without more info about your setup and network infrastructure it will be difficult to help you set this up though.

Huh. I don't doubt your networking prowess, Nerm. I'll have to look into it a bit. Trying to wrap my head around how you'd do it while waiting for food at IHOP isn't working though lol.

Easily possible via PAT.

Redirect the incoming traffic to your ftb.bagnet.tk:80 to <your_ip>:7175

Make a static NAT mapping and configure the port for the same in the firewall you use.

P.S. I don't know whether the 'regular' routers have the capacity to build PAT table or not.

Edited by d6bmg