ASRock Z77 SATA ports dead

The only time I've had that happen was when I used the wrong cable on a powersupply. I was swapping psu's and they where the same manufacturer just a different model, and didnt want to undo the one for the sata drives because it was all neetly tucked away.. I found out too late that for some reason they used the same plug to go into the psu but wired it different...thus frying the hd's. Long story short it could have been caused by the psu or a cable that the drives all shared..( or a power surge/brown out for that matter).

Crap, I did swap PSU's, and I don't know if I used a new cable or an old one. And yes, all 4 drives were on a single power cable. :( 

That may have been it. 

On the good side, I found a good local place and the machine is up and running with the 2TB drive. All the other components are OK. The SSD  and Blu-ray will get returned and I will re-install them when they come in. 

And I will separate the cables between the two power supplies......................

I had a Thermaltake 750 watt PSU that wouldn't work with my new rig. I RMA'd it and it was sent back AOK.

It still wouldn't work. I bought another type and it was all fine till I needed SLI power.

My son's power supply died and we used the T/T PSU. It fried three HDD's so it went in the bin. Just sayin'

Be sure to make sure Boot Settings Config is set as

Full Screen Logo [Disabled]

Boot from onboard LAN [Disabled]

Bounto Num-Lock [ON]

Make sure Sata 1 is set for HDD and not CD/DVR/BR

Hope that helps?

and I believe the Sata is connected to "the" thigh bone.

Edited by GreatWhiteBoy

^^ Let the OP reply before suggesting him more & more solution.

Why?

He can then tackle each solution at his leisure instead of waiting for new suggestions after one fails. Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first board I bought for my last build was one of these, was DOA. Since I had driven to Cincinnati to Micro Center to buy my parts, I had to buy one local. Lucky for me Fry's is close. They did not have this one, so I went MSI instead.