Good By i5!

The damage was most likely already done while at 4.0GHz. The amount of current necessary to cause that amount of damage cannot happen at stock voltage/speed. Intel has taken a stand on this type of failure and you will have a difficult time getting a RMA.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Guys,

My i5 died and I know you guys would love to see some pictures.

If you do think you killed it @ 4ghz what was your voltage? and what was your cooling?

that sucks man! :(

If you do think you killed it @ 4ghz what was your voltage? and what was your cooling?

that sucks man! :(

It was water cooled. The voltage was around 1.3.

I didnt think the lotes sockets burned, just goes to show it wasnt the foxconn socket I guess. Must just be the 1156 socket cant handle the voltages..

That's what I thought as well, it didn't even get that much voltage either.

Edited by tacohunter52

It was water cooled. The voltage was around 1.3.

That's what I thought as well, it didn't even get that much voltage either.

That isn't bad.. so its the socket then? not the voltage/cpu?

I think all of the sockets are faulty....

in the rigs I have built...regardless of socket brand there are contact issues....some are more dimpled than others...the contact appears to be lighter on some pins than others...I even checked my 860 and there was 3 pins that have very light dimples whiles others are all more visible...

I think they should have stayed with the pin on CPU design

I didnt think the lotes sockets burned, just goes to show it wasnt the foxconn socket I guess. Must just be the 1156 socket cant handle the voltages..

Its a Foxconn socket with a Lotes bracket.

That sucks man. Especially the part where the Lotes bracket sits atop a Foxconn socket. :O Good argument to go full i7 or AMD on that note. I may be looking at mine to see if that is also the case here.

Edited by Hedghawg71

Its a Foxconn socket with a Lotes bracket.

I had read that somewhere that they just changed the bracket and not the socket when everyone was complaing and burning them up, then again I had read the new sockets from foxconn where also fixed. Of course I ran 1.9 volts through my foxconn Maximus 3 Formula with no problems so far.