MSI AMD R9 290 GAMING TWIN FROZR 4GB or MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr

djdyna

I have bought all my parts for my new PC but having to wait for pre-order of the GTX 770 which I may cancel.

Iv'e looked online and the R9 290 is upto 20% faster. The GTX 770 is

Edited by djdyna

Considering the marginal price difference in my opinion the 290 is a slam dunk.  I'm assuming you're considering the 2Gb GTX 770 card, so with the 290 having 4Gb of memory that should future proof you a bit if you like high resolutions, multi-monitors or lots of eye candy.

I wouldn't consider Mantle a selling point yet, and True Audio give or take.............  But even disregarding those I still think the 290 card is the better of the two cards and definitely more powerful.

You should probably be comparing it to a GTX 780 instead of a GTX 770.

Considering the marginal price difference in my opinion the 290 is a slam dunk.  I'm assuming you're considering the 2Gb GTX 770 card, so with the 290 having 4Gb of memory that should future proof you a bit if you like high resolutions, multi-monitors or lots of eye candy.

I wouldn't consider Mantle a selling point yet, and True Audio give or take.............  But even disregarding those I still think the 290 card is the better of the two cards and definitely more powerful.

You should probably be comparing it to a GTX 780 instead of a GTX 770.

He's talking about the 4GB 770 though, which makes it a tough choice indeed... since heat has to be considered, the 290 would have that as a con unless it has a better aftermarket cooler.

Both GPU's have the same Twin Frozr cooler attached, iv'e changed my order and gone and paid the little extra for the R9 290, i am sure that should suit me fine for many years. :)

Both GPU's have the same Twin Frozr cooler attached, iv'e changed my order and gone and paid the little extra for the R9 290, i am sure that should suit me fine for many years. :)

Good choice then, I didn't notice the 290 was TwinFrozr also in the title haha.

I'm a fellow TwinFrozr user here, great cooler though you 290 will give it more of a work out than my 7950 :lol:

Let us know how you like/love it!

Everywhere I look the 290 is almost the same price as the 780, when it was first released it was a little more than the 770. I really hate bitcoin miners right now.

Edited by slick2500

Everywhere I look the 290 is almost the same price as the 780, when it was first released it was a little more than the 770. I really hate bitcoin miners right now.

Yeah it's bitcoin miners that are keeping the high end GPU's at a high price and normal users suffer for it.

Because a lot of people are buying them at a high price or because the manufacturers know about it and are keeping their prices high??