Medication

You obviously don't understand the first thing about pharmacology. But I'm bored, so I'll do this point by point.

"Chemicals can't create feelings."

Actually, that's what feelings are. Chemicals secreted inside the brain are what gives us emotion. Most antidepressants work by affecting these chemicals in such a way to eliminate excessive emotions. It's important to remember though, there's a difference between being sad and having depression. Sorrow is a necessary part of life. Depression is a soul crushing condition that drastically reduces your quality of life.

"Medicine isn't a system to fix problems, it's to prevent them."

You're correct: some medications are meant to prevent problems. Most western medicine as a whole is moving from being reactive to proactive. But there are problems that medicine DOES fix. I'm going to once again shamelessly use my job in residential mental healthcare as an example. Most of the individuals I work with are on psychoactive drugs such as antidepressants and antipsychotics. I've seen some be taken off those drugs and some before they were put on drugs, and they're a wreck: extreme paranoia, delusions, psychosis, hallucinations, and all that fun stuff. I'll be the first to say that drugs aren't a cure all for their conditions. But they make a huge difference in fixing the problems they have.

"Medicine doesn't create anything, the body does that."

Psychoactive drugs are directly involved in the creation and use of the chemicals the body creates. Oh, and of course medications that introduce the chemicals the body can't produce like levothyroxine. It directly replaces chemicals that the body isn't producing enough of.

"They don't make people happy or sad/people become numb"

When they're on the wrong medications yes. When medications are actually reviewed and evaluated, no. The first antidepressant I was put on after a suicide attempt was Welbutrin. It turned me into a zombie. I got to the point that I finally decided to quit taking it, and was soon in the hospital again. This time it was fluoxetine they put me on. That caused major mood swings that eventually mellowed out until I was in an almost constant manic state. After a year, I quit taking it, thinking I would be fine. Further on down the road and further problems and I was put on a regimen of Klonopin, Seroquel, and Lithium. It turned me into a mindless zombie. They were strong enough that my team leader demanded I be re-evaluated because they were far too strong. As time went on, I couldn't afford the Seroquel and my doctor refused to renew my lithium and klonopin prescriptions until I saw a shrink. After a couple weeks of severe withdrawals and a very close call with stupid decisions, I saw one. Said shrink spent three months building me up to a proper lithium blood level and then started me on amitryptline. And guess what? My mood is far better, my severe anxiety problems are gone without needing benzodiazepines again, and the almost constant suicidal ideation I had is no more. I'm neither a zombie nor a husk. I'm back in control of my life and my moods.

"Medicine is not for anyone who's functional or vaguely content."

I agree. If you're feeling ok and there's nothing wrong with you, you don't need medicine. Medicine doesn't remove anything. It adjusts chemicals and receptors to fix problems.

"Medicine is only the answer IF said emotion is ruining your life"

I agree 100%. I think that you need to get a better comprehension of medicine before you can preach about what it's not good for.

IMO.

@ Kamikaze_Badger

+10000000000000000000

I am on medication for both anxiety and depression, and you summed it up perfectly. I'm sorry about the issues you experienced, they sound worse than mine, but I can understand the situation and I am glad you are doing better! :D

Psychiatric drugs are not there to remove a person's personality or "numb" them to the world. The are there to correct your brain chemistry. Thank goodness they available because they vastly improve quality of life for people like us. :cheers:

Kamikaze.. I think you took the post a little too technically. I don't go on Facebook trying to be Steven Hawking, but I do try to make points for my friends. And often I use analogies and metaphors to make a clear point from a vague idea. This isn't my midterm paper: It's a facebook comment. And one that actually reigns more true than you think.

And as for emotions being chemicals.. It's irrelevant, as I intended chemicals in medication; not the body.. If you CAN create emotions via medication: Then why are the various psych meds labeled as follows:

Antidepressant. Antianxiety. Antiosychotic. (also known as neuroleptic, which indicates neural seizure, seizure indicating a stop or slow in this case.)

Let's move onto non-psych meds while we're at it..

Anti-bacterial. Anti-biotic. Anti-inflammatory.

I don't see any medications labeled to definitively "create" emotions.. Just to prevent them and to counteract them.

You told me I need to learn how this works.. I didn't need a wiki, I'm familiar. Wikipedia doesn't automatically mean you know a subject.

Quoting kamikaze here:

" Most antidepressants work by affecting these chemicals in such a way to eliminate excessive emotions."

So you correct me on this.. While affirming it in your explanation. Moving on with this conversation..

--Edit: "I think you need to get a better comprehension of medicine/before you preach what it is or isn't good for".. For 3 years I was onanti-depressants and recieving treatment for anxiety when I shattered my leg. Doctor wasn't getting it right, so i told her what to prescribe me. It worked when she followed my instructions. Because I know how medication works. You're implying that because I didn't type an essay on the science behind it I don't know it, but I got it right: I just communicated it with life-relation instead of a scientific thesis. Which is actually the best way to express these things in everyday life (facebook.)

Think before you type man.. Because you're actually "correcting me" on all kinds of things: Where you say the exact same thing I did. It's like a couple fighting, then realizing they're saying the same thing.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Quoting kamikaze here:

" Most antidepressants work by affecting these chemicals in such a way to eliminate excessive emotions."

So you correct me on this.. While affirming it in your explanation. Moving on with this conversation..

--Edit: "I think you need to get a better comprehension of medicine/before you preach what it is or isn't good for".. For 3 years I was onanti-depressants and recieving treatment for anxiety when I shattered my leg. Doctor wasn't getting it right, so i told her what to prescribe me. It worked when she followed my instructions. Because I know how medication works. You're implying that because I didn't type an essay on the science behind it I don't know it, but I got it right: I just communicated it with life-relation instead of a scientific thesis. Which is actually the best way to express these things in everyday life (facebook.) Stop trolling.

if you dont mind me asking, are you tjj angels other account?

i see a scary resemblance here :ph34r:

:lol:

All drugs have all kinds of side affects.

For a little while I was suffering from trigeminal neuralgia (look it up kiddies it is just as fun as it sounds) and some of the meds I had to take where also prescribed for all sorts of conditions.

Epilepsy, ADHD, Phantom limb Syndrome, Post Traumatic Stress ect. and I must say I was in quite the happy place for a while :D

So imo yeah chemicals can make people happy :lol: (inclusive of chemicals not labelled as medication and not limited to alcohol, smoking, illicit drugs, insect bites, plant juices ect.)

:lol:

All drugs have all kinds of side affects.

For a little while I was suffering from trigeminal neuralgia (look it up kiddies it is just as fun as it sounds) and some of the meds I had to take where also prescribed for all sorts of conditions.

Epilepsy, ADHD, Phantom limb Syndrome, Post Traumatic Stress ect. and I must say I was in quite the happy place for a while :D

So imo yeah chemicals can make people happy :lol: (inclusive of chemicals not labelled as medication and not limited to alcohol, smoking, illicit drugs, insect bites, plant juices ect.)

+1 Glad to see someone having a laugh. I started this thread for humor actually. That's why i mentioned the end of the picture lol. And yeah, I'm working on the alcoholic happiness right now.. Though I kinda ruined it when i pulled out the Vodka.. Always felt like what kids drink because they don't have taste yet to me. Blahh

-Edit: Coconut Vodka Smoothie... BADDDDDDDDD IDEA!

Edited by dragonsdontfly