How To Change Your Motherboard

Hello,

I highly doubt a customer would be willing to pay me $35 an hour to replace a motherboard and keep the OS installation using "hacks".Sorry to interject people, but I was wondering if anybody has had any dealings with changing the mobo in a propriety computer, or knows of any forums I may read. I am hoping to upgrade my Compaq if it is possible. I m very happy after using this forum.

Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hmm.. I'm going to jump from soc775 x48 to 890GX AM3 or maybe to x58 1366.. You think there could be problems? What was suggested in post#1 was so old I couldn't even relate (didn't read the 5 pages tho :wacko: )

• 2 months later...

Note, its an old post, prior to latest service packs, updates etc. No mention of Vista or 7, I know reinstall is a pain, but wouldn't have it any other way.

Where is Big Red anyways?

Edited by tcath2o

I have 7 x64 and I had to change my motherboard. When it fried on me. It wouldnt activate, so I called MS and explained it to them. They gave me a new licence and everything is fine now.

• 1 month later...

pls help me here guys is it compatible to my current OS Win XP SP3 if am going to replace my mobo w/c is MSI G31 chipset to a cheaper mobo Asrock H55-LE,Asus P7H55, or MSI H55 w/c of this 3 mobo's tnx alot guys :no:

• 1 year later...

I'm going to move from the MSI z77a-g41 to the ASRock z77 Extreme 4 (for obvious overclocking reasons).  here are my specs:

• i7 3770K
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
  • Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD (for OS and virus protection)
  • Crucial M4 512GB SSD for games and Photoshop, etc...
  • Seagate 2T for everything else (photos, video, music)
  • Zotac GTX 680, 4GB (Amp edition)

I've had this current setup for about 1 month on my MSI and am now moving to the ASRock. What method would you all use to avoid re-installing Win 7?

• 5 months later...

One question ... if you change your motherboard then what happens to the genuine operating system that you had in your old motherboard. You can't installed the same operating system in your new motherboard, can you?

It will ask you to activate the license when you get a LAN connection as usual. If you pass on auto activation it will give you the "you need to activate in 3 days" business. If it fails to pass the MS genuine program (and It probably will) 

Call MS and they will issue a MSDT which amounts to a new license number. You can try to work it out online , but that is a bigger pain in the ass than a 5-10 holding pattern on the phone.

One question ... if you change your motherboard then what happens to the genuine operating system that you had in your old motherboard. You can't installed the same operating system in your new motherboard, can you?

Generally it will pass the new auto activation with the need of new license.

• 3 years later...

it there currently a way to do this. I hate the thoughts of losing all and starting over.

I have the win 10 free upgrade and dont to give that up.