fx 8350 or g3258

And any enthusiast that gets the 8350 won't overclock it you mean? :rolleyes:

Never said they wouldn't, but I'd take a high-clocked Haswell dual over an 8350 strictly for gaming. I've not seen any benchmarks that really show a quad (or more) being useful compared to a smaller core count, faster, chip. I'm not talking about FPS averages here.

You don't see it as you already have a high-end processor lol.

My rig has nothing to do with what we're talking about. :shrug:

I don't have any of those games - and I don't have the tools to measure frame times set up either.

And any enthusiast that gets the 8350 won't overclock it you mean? :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about FPS averages here.

Well *I* am xD

How else would you notice your bottleneck? At least in games.

Frame times are hardly noticeable in this day and age, so i don't think that is the solution to see if one has a bottleneck or not...

If you do get a game that is multi-core heavy in the future (witcher 3 maybe?), try to disable the cores of your I7 to two and see how well it runs then, i bet the frames aren't as high as you might think.

Any recent mmorpg with lots of characters works as well, as you know, those are processor heavy.

Well *I* am xD

How else would you notice your bottleneck? At least in games.

Frame times are far more important than an average especially these days...

Fair enough.

But if you would get low frames, the frame time wouldn't really matter anymore since you are already getting lower frames because of the bottleneck you got in the game by having an insignificant CPU.

But if you would get low frames, the frame time wouldn't really matter anymore since you are already getting lower frames because of the bottleneck you got in the game by having an insignificant CPU.

That's not how it works though.

A higher average frametime with absolute consistency is a MUCH better experience than a lower average frametime and spikes here and there.

IE: Super consistent 45 FPS is far better than 60 FPS with drops down to almost zero.

EDIT: Further reading if you're interested: http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

That's not how it works though.

A higher average frametime with absolute consistency is a MUCH better experience than a lower average frametime and spikes here and there.

IE: Super consistent 45 FPS is far better than 60 FPS with drops down to almost zero.

When i am talking about low framerate, i really mean LOOOOW, like 25 fps :P

In a situation like that, frame time wouldn't help much.

I wouldn't consider 45fps low, heck, even 30 is fine depending on the game.

25 is pushing it though xD

As someone who has run games on a rather wide range of hardware (everything in my sig + AMD 4/6/8 cores and the G3285) I would say that the Pentium is REALLY pushing it for mid-upper video cards these days.  While there aren't too many games out there that need or will even use more than two threads full there are several that use two and assuming you have ANYTHING happening in the background the Pentium will remind you about it.  Of the five G3285s that I've used and OCed only one has been rock solid stable @ 4.5 on the stock cooler where I would let it run 24/7 temp wise and the OC results on the rest have been as scattered as any Haswell K sku.  In other words don't count on 4.7+ghz or low voltage OCs.  They certainly do exist and I really don't want to take away from an awesome little chip, but the silicon lottery is real with them.  (In case you're wondering for a while I could buy the 3285 bundled with a board for far less than an equal locked CPU and board so several customers of mine have unlocked pentiums. I just took a little extra time with them and gave them ~24hr testing each while I setup the machines with other CPUs)  

So to go back to the topic at hand I would spring for the i5 if it can fit the budget, but the little pentium can handle most anything up to a GTX 760 or so decently once OCed. Of course that does vary by game where something like BF4/Watch Dogs will take advantage of extra cores and be able to boost FPS.  (BF4 can actually put a solid load on across the 4930K in the right senario, such a situation would bring the G3285 to its knees briefly) You also have the upgrade path to grab an i7 down the road if you needed to and to be honest my 4770K and 4930K are indistinguishable 99% of the time in gaming.