Got to help someone out today

Onion

The thread about the homeless makeover made me wish I was able to do more to help people out, but I don't have the funds to do anything like that... However, I do have time on my hands, and the opportunity came up to help someone out today! Best feeling ever. 

A man came into my Best Buy store today right as my shift was about to end. He asks me where the CDs are, I walk him to where we keep them and ask if he's looking for anything specific. He says he's looking for a Kenny Rogers song, but he doesn't know the name or the album or the lyrics. He tells me the song is about a father loving his daughter and her meaning the world to him, and that he wants to purchase the song for his daughter who is dying of cancer. He was barely able to finish his sentence before breaking down in tears. I clocked off of Best Buy time and spent an hour helping the guy on a display computer. I managed to find the song for him, which was actually originally by another artist. He had very bad vision and no glasses. He told me that he was "messed up as well, something is wrong with [him]". He didn't know his email address, didn't know his home address, or his phone number. I went to the Best Buy website as a customer (not on the employee site), filled out all the info for him. I got his drivers license from his wallet for him and used his home address since he didn't know it and wasn't able to read it, asked him which credit card of his looks like the one he uses most often and put in that info to the website, called my cell from his phone to get his phone number, and placed the order. I made a note on a post it with when his CD should arrive and wrote down the order number for him and told him that if it doesn't get there to come back to the store and ask for me and I'd help him. I also made a copy of the order number for myself in case he forgets it somewhere. 

Seeing the guy's smile after he found the song he wanted was priceless and definitely wasn't the kind of smile you'd expect to see on a sick father with a daughter suffering from cancer. 

Edited by Onion

That was a really cool thing to do.  Especially considering you went out on the limb on a couple things; going through his wallet (on the clock or off) and using his credit card to place an order.  It's sad, but sometimes it is stuff like this that gets the most well intentioned and good hearted person into trouble.

I hope that everything turns out on the up and up.  I know that (if either of my parents were still alive) I would be very grateful to someone that took a personal interest in helping them out when they were obviously in need.  Kudos to you Onion.

You seem like a great people person. Hope that guy can get involved with some government programs like I'm on now. I've been around a lot of people with disabilities and they always seem to smile when they get what they need which is help.

That was a really cool thing to do.  Especially considering you went out on the limb on a couple things; going through his wallet (on the clock or off) and using his credit card to place an order.  It's sad, but sometimes it is stuff like this that gets the most well intentioned and good hearted person into trouble.

I hope that everything turns out on the up and up.  I know that (if either of my parents were still alive) I would be very grateful to someone that took a personal interest in helping them out when they were obviously in need.  Kudos to you Onion.

Thanks. My managers (and GM) are pretty cool guys, I don't think they'd try to do anything bad to me about it. The guy actually went to my supervisor and told him something (no idea what the guy said) but my supervisor came to me as I was leaving the store and told me I did a good job. 

You seem like a great people person. Hope that guy can get involved with some government programs like I'm on now. I've been around a lot of people with disabilities and they always seem to smile when they get what they need which is help.

Eh, I'm kind of an asshole sometimes. :lol: He might be, but I don't think a helper would be willing to put in the effort. I was happy to help him, though.

You rules onion. We need more people like you.

Thanks. :)