350$ for gaming extras.

ggg6hfgb

But I have no idea what you are doing with a Rampage IV Gene in a massive case like the HAF-X...

Yea that poor lil' mobo gonna be lost in that big case  :)

Edited by kyfire

Because why not ? It's only overkill if you can't afford it :P

I can afford lots of things, that doesn't automatically make them not overkill. :lol:

Im building my gaming rig finally and will be using a 3960X but will use the Rampage IV Extreme instead. Is it overkill? Sure it is but for what I want to use it for it will work just fine. Plus my F@H contributions should go up!  :wave:  :thumbsup:

Understood, but since you're building a gaming rig why are you getting a 4960X? Especially for 1920x1080 gaming...

Because why not ? It's only overkill if you can't afford it :P

But I have no idea what you are doing with a Rampage IV Gene in a massive case like the HAF-X...

I totally agree with you. If you can afford to go overkill, why not? That's what I would do. :teehee:

I agree.It's better to futureproof your PC.I chose the Gene because it suits my needs and I don't see the need to get a Rampage IV.Now can we go back to topic?

Wait, let's review the topic...

You don't want a 2560x1600 monitor, you are dead set on 1920x1080.

To power your 1920x1080 gaming, you are hoping NVIDIA brings out the rumoured GTX790 and you are dead set on an EVGA version of this card.

You don't want an ATX motherboard which will provide you with plentiful soundcard and SLI spacing in the future for future proofing, instead you want $280 m-ATX board to partner your overkill $1000 4960X and huge HAF-X.

You want to get a 1Tb SSD, but then say you are rather thinking of getting a 256Gb SSD and partnering it with a 1Tb external HDD.

I would go with whichever you can afford, the 256Gb SSD and external is probably very similar in gaming experience and is less overkill.

You want to spend an extra $350 on "gaming hardware".

I would suggest a nice soundcard but your choice of motherboard would prevent any future SLI/CF.

You really seem confused with what to do with your money, kinda sounds like how I was a couple years ago when I was trying to "futureproof" my rig before I realized there is no such thing as future proofing... 

Edited by Knight_72

I agree.It's better to futureproof your PC.I chose the Gene because it suits my needs and I don't see the need to get a Rampage IV.Now can we go back to topic?

On topic is getting you the best gaming experience. Your choices are well beyond what's required for the best gaming experience in terms of cost. "Futureproofing" is nothing but a waste of money once you get to a certain level of performance.

With the speakers you've chosen unless you're getting some weird sound issues like clicking or hissing you shouldn't be able to hear any difference between that card and the onboard in a double blind test. On the other hand if you also had a good set of mid to Hugh range headphones or even entry level ones the headphone amp integrated into the soundcard would make a great difference.

However in the situation of the headphone amp I personally would recomend/use something along the lines of USB DAC Amps like the Audioengine D1, ODAC (O2+ODAC combo), uDAC2, fubar3 and more. I've personally been using the D1 for sometime now and been loving it but am currently considering moving up to the 02+ODAC after now some time of using my JDS labs cMoyBB with my Stoner Acoustics UD100 on my phone.