tablet for uni

Muchoman1

Hey guys, starting the first year of my triple engineering masters next week (civil, mining and mechanical) and I need a tablet PC. Textbooks are around 150 each and I need 5 just for first semester, but I have got the pdf files of all the books off friend who bought the books.

I want a tablet to put all the books on, to save me from carrying them all (my highschool bag was 20 + kg every day)

Budget is around 800 bucks, storage space isn't a huge issue because my sr-x will be running a file sever for it and I have mobile internet for when i'm away from wifi.

I was looking at the Asus transformer prime, because it does everything I want and it can have a keyboard. I heard there was some issues with the original model though, to do with wifi and whatnot, and that they were releasing a updated version that fixes those issues and also has a full hd screen.

When is this updated version coming out? Out us there anything out there that will better suit my needs?

I've got my desktop, my galaxy s2, but nothing in the middle

Thanks guys

Supposedly they have fixed the Transformer Prime already, but the TF-700T which will have a 1920x1200 resolution screen is supposed to be out in the next few months (Q2 2012). It might not fit your budget though, as is supposed to retail for $600 US.

Well no wonder Stonerboy hasn't posted yet, I forgot to say the magic word.

ahem

Tegra 3

:lol:

No idea buddy I don't use tablets and as much as I hate apple at times I will say this the iPad 2 my brother was given by school (that's and issue in it's self that I hate) is actually a damn nice device.

Probably won't satisfy you tho. I will say it now tho stick with a laptop of you have one, I am sure you do. Then wait for more and better tablets using the tegra 3 chipset that will allow you to view 3D cad models which I am sure will be handy in your degree.

Other than that I have not paid the tablet market any heed. I am a laptop man because for the same money I get a far better product IMO and to me the $100 - 200 don't do all that much.

Oh and look for the biggest screen possible, don't make reading your books impossible.

Just looked some more at the Transformer prime and I must say I now want to integrate a 64Gb TF-700T into the dash of the 08/09 VE I am buying in ~6-12 months time.

The specs on it are just wow

The transformer prime (non HD) looks great but the HD version is amazing but slated for a release in late q2 so if you could hold yourself over till then it may be worth it because you could pretty much keep it the length of your course.

Yeah, well the issue is that I don't have a laptop, so i'm going to be book less while waiting.

So my semester one books are 750, or I can get the tablet for 800 and the pdf off my friend doing all the same course

And I don't understand how a full hd screen would work on something that small, it just seems overkill

Compare phone screens and resolutions you do see the differance. Although you still shouldn't go wrong with the transformer prime besides being overcharged $200 here in aus.

at this point in time its the lesser of two evils, get the books for 750 or the tablet for 800, so im behind for first semester but by second im 700 dollars ahead, then continue that for the next 4 years.

i just saw the splashtop thq, now thats what im talking about. the nvidia gpus are looking better all the time

at this point in time its the lesser of two evils, get the books for 750 or the tablet for 800, so im behind for first semester but by second im 700 dollars ahead, then continue that for the next 4 years.

i just saw the splashtop thq, now thats what im talking about. the nvidia gpus are looking better all the time

Have you seen splashtop with a phone or ipod used as a controller?

If not definately look out for a video it is awesome. Sit there on your tablet with your phone as a controller.

Have you seen splashtop with a phone or ipod used as a controller?

If not definately look out for a video it is awesome. Sit there on your tablet with your phone as a controller.

sounds good, but what im talking about is they were playing skyrim on the transformer prime with all settings maxed, via a pc, the game is rendered by the pc and then the video is compressed and streamed. they had a xbox 360 controller hooked up to the tablet.

it all worked wirelessly and can be used remotely, so if ive got a hour between lectures and no study to do, i can always keep myself entertained :evilgrin: