Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 crappier than not integrated 2400?

Hello,

How can this be possible...

I have a full HD playback enabled motherboard with its integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics but when I try to play a full HD video, it is lagging a lot, although I have all the display drivers installed and my ATI control center shows clearly that the system is running on the integrated 4200 card.

But when I try my not-integrated Ati Radeon HD 2400 series graphics card, the full HD videos run smoothly.

How can this be? It doesn't make any sense? Does it mean that 4200 is worse than 2400 series?

Regards,

Persemees

it means your CPU is pretty crappy

or you have a software issue or playing a bad rip

onboard HD can play bluray fine

It doesn't mean the CPU is crappy. :lol: He clearly said playback was fine on his 2400, that probably wouldn't be true if the CPU was the issue.

To me it sounds like it could be a driver problem, I would recommend trying the latest drivers for your 4200, if that doesn't work, try several older versions of the drivers. I think a friend of mine had this same issue a while back, I'll see how he fixed it if I can get a hold of him.

It doesn't mean the CPU is crappy. :lol: He clearly said playback was fine on his 2400, that probably wouldn't be true if the CPU was the issue.

Actually, that might be the case. The integrated 4200 would be running using the CPU to do some calculations, so if his CPU was bogged down running other things, or could not handle HD video on its own it would create the lag. Offloading the HD video playback on to a separate GPU will usually run better because the GPU is dedicated to the processing required for the HD playback.

But like everyone else said, update your drivers and see what happens. I would suggest running 3dmark06 or something with the integrated video and with the 2400 and go with whatever option gives the better score haha

Hello,

How can this be possible...

I have a full HD playback enabled motherboard with its integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics but when I try to play a full HD video, it is lagging a lot, although I have all the display drivers installed and my ATI control center shows clearly that the system is running on the integrated 4200 card.

But when I try my not-integrated Ati Radeon HD 2400 series graphics card, the full HD videos run smoothly.

How can this be? It doesn't make any sense? Does it mean that 4200 is worse than 2400 series?

Regards,

Persemees

Sounds like you have some conflicts....on the software level my old HTPC worked flawless for HD and Bluray with an old AM2 4000X2 CPU and an 6600gt video card...I have several AM2+ boards witht he 4200 onboard and there is no issue what so ever with media

Actually, that might be the case. The integrated 4200 would be running using the CPU to do some calculations, so if his CPU was bogged down running other things, or could not handle HD video on its own it would create the lag. Offloading the HD video playback on to a separate GPU will usually run better because the GPU is dedicated to the processing required for the HD playback.

But like everyone else said, update your drivers and see what happens. I would suggest running 3dmark06 or something with the integrated video and with the 2400 and go with whatever option gives the better score haha

Well I suppose you could be right but I'm still convinced the CPU isn't the problem, regardless, we won't know for sure until he comments back with the specs.

Sounds like you have some conflicts....on the software level my old HTPC worked flawless for HD and Bluray with an old AM2 4000X2 CPU and an 6600gt video card...I have several AM2+ boards witht he 4200 onboard and there is no issue what so ever with media

:withstupid:

I have the 4290 iGPU on my board and 1080p videos play perfectly fine on it.

Thanks for the dozen of replies.

As for my computer specs, I have AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU which should be able to play full HD videos also without any video card (?)

And I have 4GB RAM, so that should not be a problem either.

I have windows 7 and I use VLC player to play videos (1080p video in this case). I have the latest display drivers installed for both video cards, external and integrated. But still the integrated video card can't play full HD videos smoothly. Although the HD4200 series card is supposed to be faster than 2400 series.

I guess I should try to install some old video drivers instead ?

I have attached pictures of my mother board box. Check it out and let me know why it says "full HD playback" on the box when actually it can't stand full HD playback?

Regards,

persevest

post-76260-13015014900062_thumb.jpg

post-76260-13015015073668_thumb.jpg

VLC does NOT do GPU acceleration!!!

The CPU is doing the entire work, thats why it's lagging...

The 4200 does handle FullHD but the software is not using that capability.

VLC does NOT do GPU acceleration!!!

The CPU is doing the entire work, thats why it's lagging...

The 4200 does handle FullHD but the software is not using that capability.

Even if that's the case, which it isn't, VLC does have GPU acceleration, I'm pretty sure his CPU could handle it.