SSD only for windows

AndresP

Guys i just got my SSD, do you know a software that could tell me if my ssd is doing as fast as possible?

ive seen in other threats that ppl say no to defragment the ssd, but where do i take that off, where are the settings of my ssd??

3rd question :P!

My ssd is 60gb Super GT Corsair Sata 3 6Gb/s, i just got it for Windows, So is there a way to make windows install Everything into my 2do Hard drive wich is 1 Tb?? i mean is like having SSD to boot only and make my main Storage the HDD one.????

• Like 1

Question 1 and 2

You can use CrystalMark to bench your SSD, then compare that to the advertised speeds and see how things go. You do not need to defragment SSDs because all their storage can be accessed at the same time, if required (in theory), the reason for defragmenting hard disks is that the head can only read from one point of a drive, and if a file is randomly around the drive, it has to wait for the drive to spin round to recover each bit of data. You do not need to disable defragmenting.

Question 3

This will involve editing your registry. If you are not confident doing this, it is not recommended.

1) Type in 'regedit' in the search box in the start menu

2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

3) Find the 'ProgramFilesDir' registry key and open it

4) Change the value to the install location on the second drive (Assuming your SSD is C:\, the second HDD should be D:\)

5) Save the registry value and close the registry editor

These changes will not take effect until you reboot your machine, so remember to do that afterwards

• Like 2

Question 1 and 2

You can use CrystalMark to bench your SSD, then compare that to the advertised speeds and see how things go. You do not need to defragment SSDs because all their storage can be accessed at the same time, if required (in theory), the reason for defragmenting hard disks is that the head can only read from one point of a drive, and if a file is randomly around the drive, it has to wait for the drive to spin round to recover each bit of data. You do not need to disable defragmenting.

Question 3

This will involve editing your registry. If you are not confident doing this, it is not recommended.

4) Change the value to the install location on the second drive (Assuming your SSD is C:\, the second HDD should be D:\)

These changes will not take effect until you reboot your machine, so remember to do that afterwards

+1 good info

In-regards to question 3 I have done that registry edit before 3 times in fact when installing my OS. If you mess up you could render your current installation useless and be forced to redo everything so follow every step to the letter!

Question 1 and 2

Question 3

Thanks a lot! it worked, kinda annoying like having Users in the C:/ and all that because i normally use

My Music

My Pictures and all fthos efolders, i have to make them in teh D:/ now, at least default installation programs are heading to the d:/ one thanks to you good info!