OCC Reviews the Thermaltake Bigwater 760 Plus CPU Cooler

Nemo

I have just purchased this watercooler despite a vast majority of the reviews being negative, stating that it doesnt cool as good as a high end fan cooling system or the sound at max fan speed. As well another problem is that the fan doesnt cool the radiator at max speed.

What Im really dumbfounded about is the blatent poor physics design of the product. The fan should be under the radiator blowing air up through out the top, in the current design it is going against the natural flow of heat rising and the fan is blowing it down and its rising back up creating a pack of heat below the radiator!

In my case, the only place to put this water cooler was in the bottom slot (

) Not only does the fan blow against basic physics but it is blowing it down into the base of the case and bouncing back up! If they just reversed the fan to the bottom and blew the air through the top of the radiator it would disperse better.

They have a really cool asthetic design, which is what made me want to buy this unit, however its performance is far from impressive.

I feel as though they have a great idea with the dual drivebay and the open system concept, I would like to see the water resivoir to be clear and viewable through a window at the front, as well as the fan blowing the air through the top not out the bottom of the radiator.

I think they can revamp the design and make a revision to the Big Water series

post-86624-0-52293700-1337009369_thumb.png

So you knew it was bad, bought it anyway, then were surprised when it was bad? :lol:

its not bad, its just not incredible, I bought it for the expandibility and open system. as well I dont need a 200$ water system. Its asthetically pleasant and does what I need it too, however I just feel as though with the same parts and a bit of redesign it could be one of the primier water cooling systems out on the market.

its not bad, its just not incredible, I bought it for the expandibility and open system. as well I dont need a 200$ water system. Its asthetically pleasant and does what I need it too, however I just feel as though with the same parts and a bit of redesign it could be one of the primier water cooling systems out on the market.

For $130 you can do a LOT better with inexpensive "custom" watercooling. There's an XSPC kit that will outperform the Bigwater by a HUGE amount for a mere $10 more.

For $130 you can do a LOT better with inexpensive "custom" watercooling. There's an XSPC kit that will outperform the Bigwater by a HUGE amount for a mere $10 more.

yes and I got mine for $100 shipped which is why I got it, I like it it does what I need it to do, I do feel they could have done a lot more with it.. but maybe in a revision... post some of your custom watercooling setups!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have configured a simple mod to the thermaltake 760 plus and the results are truly outstanding. A lot of review complained about the noise of the stolk fan, but also that the fan didnt cool the radiator. Some blamed it on the small radiator, however its not the radiator its a poor design flaw.

I have done a push-pull fan mod to the thermaltake 760 plus and the results are truly incredible, you can actually watch the cpu temperatures drop when you put the fan on high and the noise is no more.

I would like one of the reviewers to do a comparison review with this mod vs the origional review. I am not a tester with all the ambient temps etc, but I can guarantee you that this completely changes the use of the water cooling unit and makes it a DEFINATE buy!

check out how I did the mod, this is not spam!! LOL

tell me what you think and if you can pass this on to any testers I would truly love to see the actual results compared to the poor origional review it has gotten.