GRUB 2 boot params messed up(UBUNTU SERVER 11.10)

SpeedCrazy

Hey Guys,

I finally got a hold of a box to run my dev server on and after installing ubuntu server 11.10 when ever i boot i get a blank screen with the insert dash flashing in the top right, grub then appears and disappears in a flash and i get this.

post-72422-0-06413100-1327429683_thumb.jpg

What is this and how do i fix it?

I am lost.

Thanks guys,

Speed

Edited by SpeedCrazy

I discoverd what my problem was, something to do with the graphics driver for my old box. And the fix is to add console=ttyl to my Grub 2 boot params.

I can do this on a per boot basis but whenever i try to add it as a permanent parameter its messes everything up.

In my /etc/default/grub file i set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=ttyl" and when i reboot and take a look at the line it is added to it shows this.

linux /vmlunz-3.0.0-12-generic-pae root=/dev/mapper/dev-root ro console=ttyl vt.handoff=7

in order to boot properly that line must read

linux /vmlunz-3.0.0-12-generic-pae root=/dev/mapper/dev-root rovt.handoff=7

and console=ttyl must be on a separate line.

How do i fix this? No one on askubuntu will help me.

Thanks Guys,

Speed

What type of graphics card are you using for this server build up?

Did you use the correct architecture optimized alternative install version for your system? :popcorn:

Edited by tazwegion

I discoverd what my problem was, something to do with the graphics driver for my old box. And the fix is to add console=ttyl to my Grub 2 boot params.

I can do this on a per boot basis but whenever i try to add it as a permanent parameter its messes everything up.

In my /etc/default/grub file i set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=ttyl" and when i reboot and take a look at the line it is added to it shows this.

linux /vmlunz-3.0.0-12-generic-pae root=/dev/mapper/dev-root ro console=ttyl vt.handoff=7

in order to boot properly that line must read

linux /vmlunz-3.0.0-12-generic-pae root=/dev/mapper/dev-root rovt.handoff=7

and console=ttyl must be on a separate line.

How do i fix this? No one on askubuntu will help me.

Thanks Guys,

Speed

Why don't you just edit the file once you're booted? It should be in /boot/grub.cfg or something similar (I haven't used Ubuntu since version 6).

Why don't you just edit the file once you're booted? It should be in /boot/grub.cfg or something similar (I haven't used Ubuntu since version 6).

I have...........

You can't edit the .cfg directly you edit the /etc/default/grub file and then run update-grub and it generates a new cfg file. And when i edit the /etc/default/grub file i have the problem described in my second post.

The file specifically says DO NOT DIRECTLY EDIT THIS FILE!! But i might try it when i get home.

Warranties also say, "do not overclock your processor," but that doesn't stop us :P You should be fine with adding a parameter to the file, if that is all you do and you know this is the correct parameter. Just don't screw around with the file and you should be fine.

The file specifically says DO NOT DIRECTLY EDIT THIS FILE!! But i might try it when i get home.

It won't break anything, AFAIK, it just might get overwritten later down the road by an update or something (in which case you'd just modify it again). :P

It won't break anything, AFAIK, it just might get overwritten later down the road by an update or something (in which case you'd just modify it again). :P

Wouldn't it be far easier to slap in some old unused video card? :ph34r: