Black Series GTX 460 Series Video Card from ECS Benched

Nemo

What card do you currently have?

The GTX 460 is not just a name change as one would want to think and is not based upon older 2 series architecture, it is and entirely new GPU based on Nvidias GF 104 Fermi micro architecture.

It seems that people still cant get over a name change. That's marketing! People make more of it than there really is. An informed consumer will make a choice based on their research not a name!

Lets talk about the Pinto. Nice little compact car in the early 70's from Ford that had a penchant for exploding gas tanks that morphed into the .........Mustang II. Same guts new skin! Better bumper

Didn't fool me, I hated them both evilgrin.gif

I understand your point perfectly. But it is a double edged sword when you look at the fact that driver enhancements happen so fast that testing 30 cards every 3 to 4 weeks is a process that is not going to happen. I could do that and then I get complaints that I didn't use the latest driver we are vilified for that. At that point there is no time for testing new hardware. See my point.

I know where you are going and can appreciate that. I may just look into doing a single test with the entire lineup that I have. Unfortunately you have two classes of cards. The high and mid range and then the low end requiring two different testing methodologies. Results between those two are not comparable.

To maj.meathead:

As someone mentioned before, I think it was Bosco, this is an enthusiast's site. Review of less exciting, low to mid-range cards can be found at most of the on-line stores anyway. And, there aren't many sites which include as many comparisons in their reviews as this site. I also understand your point, choosing a graphics card to match exactly what you want to do isn't easy. There are too many variables. OS, RAM, CPU, MB, games used, etc.

I don't think this site really caters to the user who just wants to run on the edge of obsolescence, buying just enough processing capability to perform at minimum or mid-range settings of whatever game captures their fancy at that point in time. Speaking of which, I may be missing your point entirely, I've kinda forgotten all the back and forth rolleyes.gif

"I don't think this site really caters to the user who just wants to run on the edge of obsolescence, buying just enough processing capability to perform at minimum or mid-range settings of whatever game captures their fancy at that point in time. Speaking of which, I may be missing your point entirely, I've kinda forgotten all the back and forth rolleyes.gif

"

HUH? I got more high end stuff than newegg does thank you very much. I have obsessive compulsive disorder. I like to see all there is to see when I read something. And yes, I do have "older" cards but they seem not to exist as soon as the "new" stuff comes out........... whether the "new" stuff is really better than the "old" stuff..... who can tell without the information readily in front of you ? Over a short time information and settings change and skew the information provided in the later benchmarks...... if it weren't for the link provided, and then carefully reading the hardware and settings involved, an uninformed user may not make the best purchases available. I think that this is what I am getting at that unfortunately some of you seem to have missed.

and to quote you again " I've kinda forgotten all the back and forth " not easy to remember when it's not right in front of you is it ?

HUH? I got more high end stuff than newegg does thank you very much. I have obsessive compulsive disorder. I like to see all there is to see when I read something. And yes, I do have "older" cards but they seem not to exist as soon as the "new" stuff comes out........... whether the "new" stuff is really better than the "old" stuff..... who can tell without the information readily in front of you ? Over a short time information and settings change and skew the information provided in the later benchmarks...... if it weren't for the link provided, and then carefully reading the hardware and settings involved, an uninformed user may not make the best purchases available. I think that this is what I am getting at that unfortunately some of you seem to have missed.

and to quote you again " I've kinda forgotten all the back and forth " not easy to remember when it's not right in front of you is it ?

I've noticed Guru3D and Tom's Hardware are great for including benchmarks of older hardware. It's how I found out my 4870x2 is still a monster and is a STRONG contender with newer high end cards

I've noticed Guru3D and Tom's Hardware are great for including benchmarks of older hardware. It's how I found out my 4870x2 is still a monster and is a STRONG contender with newer high end cards

Only ......Only if the Crossfire profiles are available for the game. ATI still has a lot of work to do to get crossfire scaling in as many games as SLI scales. I have not found a game where SLI does not scale but plenty where crossfire is a non performer.

Only ......Only if the Crossfire profiles are available for the game. ATI still has a lot of work to do to get crossfire scaling in as many games as SLI scales. I have not found a game where SLI does not scale but plenty where crossfire is a non performer.

it's true, and naturally where DX11 is available but... for all of the games I've played it's been perfect to max em at 1920x1200 (and Waco told me passed 10.5 I think, the second 4870x2 core runs at the 2D Clocks) So if that's so then even as a 4870x1.5 it's more than enough. I love this thing, I do with Bosco would let me have his dormant 295 though, I'm no hater of either side but these 4870x2s are around $200 now and scream

No doubt they are still potent. Its just ATI does not get the multi GPU thing down pat! The catalyst profiles are a start but still for people who dont know and buy a dual GPU and then get the same FPS in a game it really is a let down.

I am working to get more older stuff in the benchmarking results but its gonna take some time.

No doubt they are still potent. Its just ATI does not get the multi GPU thing down pat! The catalyst profiles are a start but still for people who dont know and buy a dual GPU and then get the same FPS in a game it really is a let down.

I am working to get more older stuff in the benchmarking results but its gonna take some time.

Indeed, (hence why I wouldn't mind a 295 if I could swap out for free :P )