GTX 460 OC Graphics Card from Inno3D Evaluated

Well IMHO neither ATI nor Nvidia are winning, if you look at the prices currently the more you pay for the more you get (not including the 5830) it's all about what you are willing to pay. The 5850 is now slightly overpriced for it's performance but is no slouch.

No matter which you buy you are still getting a nice card for the money, the 5770 is still in my mind one of the best budget cards if not the best because of its low price and it's performance in Crossfire.

Just my two cents.

The only reason Nvidia is winning is because they waited so damn long to release these cards. Next year ATI will be winning again and Nvidia being as slow as they are will drop some Cards 6 months later and call then better. The longer you wait the better things are but at some point you have to actually buy something. That being said I will just wait until the GTX 680 before I decide to buy a card :P

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Part of me wishes I had waited for the GTX 460 to launch instead of buying the HD 5770 a few weeks ago. But then again, considering the GTX 460 1GB costs about 50 bucks more than the 5770 I got.. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

The GTX 460 is a damn good performer... just a touch outside my budget. :P

Maybe IVI will find a reason to murder his 4870X2 at last. :lol:

General el'Cheapo? :D

Oh and sorry to others for going OT.

And don't you forget it!!

What did you do recommend a 4850X2 :haha:

Who tipped you off?? :whistling:

Maybe IVI will find a reason to murder his 4870X2 at last. :lol:

NEVER!!

nvidia goofed. they should have swapped the names of the 460 and the 465 to better show the performance hierarchy

RHKCommander959, i know its a subjective thing but how were the noise levels when you cranked the fan?

Full speed was noticable but not ear shattering. I could hear it over the case fans but it didn't seem as loud as a full speed blower motor. My Delta TFB1212GHE at 5V was growling louder and drowned it out.

Folding performance and power consumption would be nice to know, a possible replacement for my ageing 9600GSO's?

I'll give folding a try tonight although it is hard to say how well it could fold since each work unit is different.

Thermal specs are ~160TDP, so energy usage shouldn’t be too demanding although one can't go off of the thermal specs for power consumption since it doesn't directly correlate. I can't guarantee the consumption since I don't have the equipment for that yet, but I can give a guesstimate:

AFAIK the GTX 460s only needed one PCIe 6-pin to power them and the second just allows for more headroom, but they are close to needing the second one. A PCIe x16 slot supplies up to 75 watts, and so does each 6-pin connector so it may use around 150 watts, overclocked with 1GB of memory could have pushed it into needing the second connection.

Full speed was noticable but not ear shattering. I could hear it over the case fans but it didn't seem as loud as a full speed blower motor. My Delta TFB1212GHE at 5V was growling louder and drowned it out.

I'll give folding a try tonight although it is hard to say how well it could fold since each work unit is different.

Thermal specs are ~160TDP, so energy usage shouldn’t be too demanding although one can't go off of the thermal specs for power consumption since it doesn't directly correlate. I can't guarantee the consumption since I don't have the equipment for that yet, but I can give a guesstimate:

AFAIK the GTX 460s only needed one PCIe 6-pin to power them and the second just allows for more headroom, but they are close to needing the second one. A PCIe x16 slot supplies up to 75 watts, and so does each 6-pin connector so it may use around 150 watts, overclocked with 1GB of memory could have pushed it into needing the second connection.

Oh the man himself, I failed to mention....GREAT REVIEW!! :thumbsup:

Its a factory overclocked card so the stock scores are at the factory clocks and then overclocked from there

Wow. How did i miss that lol thanks for the correction. I see now. You and me both Dave :P