New Sound Card Advice

amythompson172

Recently purchased AKG Q701 headphones and although they feel a little flimsy for their price tag they do sound great. I'm still debating what to power them with as my Xonar DG is rather noisy and weak. I've been looking at various dac & amp combos but for 200$, a solid soundcard like this doesn't seem like a bad idea. What do you guys think?

HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier

ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

Budget is ~ 200$

I vote for the ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Basically the same as the card I'm using, and I can vouch for the excellent sound they offer. You will need a spare power connector for it, but that is just to ensure clean power to the headphone amp.

• 1 month later...

USB dac/headphone amp. Get that sh¡t out of the pc and onto the desk.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006IPH5H2/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

USB dac with headphone amp and RCA pre outs which is nice. The consistent theme of it's reviews is it performs well beyond it's price and that it is being sold almost criminally low.

Wow, really jumping the spectrum here from a $30 dollar sound card to max $200 dollar sound card.

Any reason to pass over the Asus mid-range options such as the DX or D1? Both of which are amazingly priced right now at Newegg.

Wow, really jumping the spectrum here from a $30 dollar sound card to max $200 dollar sound card.

Any reason to pass over the Asus mid-range options such as the DX or D1? Both of which are amazingly priced right now at Newegg.

You realise how much has already been dropped on the headphones? They have an rrp of nearly $500 and I see no reason why a headphone amp/soundcard should stay inside a pc to pick up noise and possibly interfere with GPU cooling.